I have a new Super Favorite Thing: the Round Rock Chalk Walk. It's a once-a-year autumn time festival our city does. For two days, local artists congregate and create beautiful and creative chalk art on squares of concrete they've reserved. There are prizes for the top artists in various categories. There are also food and craft vendors, games and chalk squares for kids, live music, and a whole lot of general jovialness. My wonderful friend Becky does it every year, and has been telling me for months that it's her favorite weekend of the entire year.
This year--I don't mean to flatter myself here, but...--she asked me to be her assistant. She told me my job would be to refill her water bottle, talk to passersby so she wouldn't have to, and just generally hang out and keep her company for two days and crack jokes. (It was a tall order, but honestly...I pretty much nailed it. Her water bottle was never empty, for two whole days. Ok, fine. Once it was empty. But not for long. I still think I nailed it, because I totally talked to people and I did crack a LOT of jokes.)
It was the best. weekend. ever. (Side note: can I even tell you how much I love David? He took work off to be the stay-at-home parent while I just sat in a camping chair, read my book, listened to the live music, supported Becky, and felt completely free for two whole glorious days. It was important to him because it was important to me. It was important to me because it was important to Becky. He has always been good to my friends and encouraging of my time with them, and I dearly love him for that.) The mornings were cool and crisp and the afternoons were sunny and warm. The mornings were empty and quiet and the afternoons were full of interesting people to watch. In the evenings Dave brought pizza and the kids and they ran around eating snow cones, rolling down grass hills, looking at peoples' art, laughing and playing and dancing to the live music. Bliss. I loved watching Becky's composition take shape. I loved walking around and seeing the other artists' pieces come to life. I loved sitting Indian style in that camping chair, reading my book for hours with the sun gently shining on my face. The whole flavor of the weekend was relaxed, friendly, creative, free-spirited, and artsy. It was divine. I felt so refreshed when it was all finished, and that feeling has just stayed and stayed with me. I have needed that lately. It was a lovely gift.
 |
| The beginnings. |
 |
| At work on the moon. |
 |
| Working into the evening of the first day. |
 |
| One of the main organizers was a personal friend of Becky's. He spent most of the first day drawing randomly-placed chalk characters all over the ground. He put me to work drawing out a Phineas and Ferb picture he had printed off. So...this was my contribution to the Chalk Walk. Kind of embarrassing for Becky that I showed her up so badly, huh?? I'M KIDDING. Totally kidding. Scroll on, and you'll see what I mean. |
 |
| The amazing, super-hero-esque, supportive hubsters. "It's guyyyyyy love....betweeeeeen twoooooo guys." |
 |
| I brought our three oldest on the second morning so they could do their own chalk art. Elijah helped decorate his elementary school's square by drawing the cover of a "Big Nate" book. |
 |
| Haven did original artwork. |
 |
| Apparently I'm not the only one who felt like the Chalk Walk was pure bliss. :) |
 |
| Haven and Whitney, mid grassy-hill-roll-down. |
 |
| Stuart, Dane, and Elijah mid-wrestle. |
 |
| Yes. He IS the game changer. Always. |
 |
| This is photographic evidence of one of my finest Chalk Walk Assistant moments. That would be a Starbucks grande skinny hazelnut hot chocolate with whipped cream, which I brought one morning for Becky, like any good knave does for their boss. Incidentally, if you haven't had one of those, you should RUN to your nearest Starbucks and beg them for one. Now. |
 |
| The finished product. "Lassoing the Moon". Original art. It's dreamy and free and imaginative. Becky's amazing, isn't she? |
 |
| Heart happiness. And also, that is temporary blue hair dye in my hair, which I loved so much I wanted to marry it. |
***
What's one version of your perfect weekend?
No comments:
Post a Comment