We moved across the country and I went into survival mode. But the dust has mostly settled now, and it appears that everyone did in fact survive the chaos. With all limbs intact, even. Count your blessings, right? We miss our SC friends dearly, but are glad to be back in Texas. This is right for our family, and it always feels good to listen to that.
In June, David was out of town for the entire first week, he met back up with us at a family reunion that lasted the entire second week, then we loaded up the moving van and moved ourselves to Texas the third week. And in the fourth week, I had a mental breakdown resulting from the first three weeks. :) No, I'm kidding. My saintly mother came out and stayed with us for ALL of June, and by so doing, pretty solidly secured her place in heaven in the next life. No but seriously. She really did keep us sane, functioning, and even laughing.
I've been thinking a lot lately about seeing the silver lining and being grateful. I think a grateful heart can make your whole life feel stable and blessed, and I've been struggling with gratitude a little bit this summer. I think it's just the after-effects of the move, but I keep finding my patience running thinner than usual and feeling myself going into sensory overload with the craziness of being the stay-at-home parent to four active children.
Two weeks after we moved, the kids (all four) went through two weeks of swim lessons. It felt like treating crazy by adding more crazy. They all had staggered start/end times, and I was supposed to be in the pool with Kai for half the time...I did the best I could to arrange a workable schedule that wouldn't result in their lessons spanning a three hour time frame in the Texas heat/humidity, but it felt rough. It was a 2-week non-stop "Seriously please go put your swimsuit on now--dude, swimsuit NOW" and packing pool snacks and towels and buckling and unbuckling carseats and "I know the car is hot, just be patient" and GPS-ing the pool b/c I don't know the area yet and "Please stand still so I can sunscreen you" and constantly tightening and loosening three pairs of swim goggles and smiling and giving across-the-pool-thumbs-ups and "I know you're hot but Haven's lesson isn't over yet" and more buckling and unbuckling and showering off kids and laying out towels to dry so they can be reused the next day, then trying to go back to unpacking boxes. WHEW. By the end of the two weeks, I was feeling pretty ragged.
On the last day, though, I stood there watching Elijah doing the butterfly stroke across the pool and I was suddenly overcome with an unbelievable sense of deep gratitude. I watched his beautiful brown body glide across that pool; I could see his muscles flexing to drive him forward, and I thought of how vibrant and healthy he is. They all are. I felt the Spirit whisper to me, "Look at him. Look at this skill he has gained. Look at what his body can do. You are so blessed." I choked back tears, and the two weeks of swim lesson chaos sort of just melted away. I felt embarrassed that it had seemed like such a chore to get them there each day. How many parents would give their all to watch their child glide across the pool like that?? Then I looked around and saw--really saw--each of them. What a gifts they are! I'm so grateful for all of it.
I'm trying to hold on to that mindset. We left a secure job to strike out on our own. We felt led to this place and believe it is right for us, but it is still a great leap of faith. Money is tight now as we build Dave's practice. It is oh-so-tight. But guess what? We are doing it. It is working. Dave's practice is growing by the week, and we think I am going to be able to stay home full-time with our kids. On Sunday I fasted for Dave to continue to get more clients, and that very afternoon he got two more referrals. We feel God's hand in Dave's business here, and I'm touched at His love and concern for us. Our stress levels have been high post-move, but our blessing count has been much higher. :)
So...I'm back.
Life is good.
I am grateful.
Oh, and here's some summer pictures...
 |
| Haven and Super Fun Uncle Jeremy. |
 |
| My grandmother and me. We had a really lovely moment together during the family reunion in June. |
 |
| All four...three out of four happy isn't a bad percentage, right?? |
 |
| Let the exciting insanity begin. :) |
 |
| My aforementioned saintly mother, and Kai. |
 |
| My dad came to visit us here in Texas. He took us to a touch aquarium, where the kids can touch and feed TONS of sea animals. The stingrays were everyone's favorites! |
 |
| Living in Texas does not a Cowboys Fan make, apparently. Go Ducks. :) |
 |
| When I took this picture, I couldn't help but smile in appreciation of the good male role models my kids are growing up with. Look at Kai...surrounded by a father, uncles, and grandfathers who model gentleness, faith, and kindness for them. Good men, all of them. Lucky boys to be surrounded by that! |
 |
| My papa and me. |
 |
| Haven and my dad at the children's museum here, learning about planes and flight via a wind tunnel. |
 |
| These two are two peas in a pod. They share a birthday. And a whole lot of love. |
 |
| This one still lives and breathes every moment of every day, for David. |
 |
| Dane turned five in July! |
 |
| Dave's mom came to love on us and help us unpack in July. She's the best mother-in-law EVER. Truly. I deeply love that woman. |
 |
| My brother came out to see us when he was here on business in July. It's awesome being here...people actually have reason to come here semi-frequently, and we get to see them! |
 |
| Kai turned three in August. |
 |
| Apparently Austin is the Tiny Frog Capital of the World. Ok, I made that up. But seriously, when it rains here, the sidewalks are teeming with these cute little guys. |
 |
| We swam all. summer. long. At least three days a week, often six. I found Kai like this on the couch one afternoon after we got back. Don't you just want to scoop him up into your arms and breathe him in and will him to never grow up?? |
 |
| Haven saw a video of Kacy Catanzaro doing the American Ninja Warrior thing, and got all Girl Power on me (yeah!! I love me a good strong woman!!) and started creating obstacle course for herself around the house. Love it. |
 |
| The kids pooled their money (they are super savers) and bought a snake. He's a ball python. His name is Benjamin Bruce. He is the thrill of every day. They live like 30 years, so...I'll be getting senior citizen discounts by the time this thing croaks. Elijah recently told me that he'll have to choose his wife someday based upon whether or not she can live with the snake. Nice. Glad to see he's got his priorities straight. |
5 comments:
So glad to read an update! Cassie keeps me posted but I love reading your writing. I hope to approach motherhood and life as you do. And that picture of Dane 😃.
So glad that you survived the move with such great style and attitude. You are such a wonderful mom, wife, and friend. Love you !
Because I am that-cannot-control-my-emotions sort of person anymore, I am desperately trying to see the keys to type this because the tears are in the way! LOOK at your BEAUTIFUL family!! They are growing up! Oh mine I just still love them so very much. And to read and then hear your voice makes me just so happy!! I want you to know that I talk about you at least weekly to people who never had the pleasure of knowing you. I share your wisdom and beautiful words all the time. I used your swimming analogy and Christ just a few months ago in young woman's. I often think of finding that blasted peter on the water painting that is nonexistent....yet. We have been talking about feeling our Heavenly Father's love a lot with my kiddos and I feel His love because He gave me you as a friend. and big big HOORAY for being in the same state!!! I think we should plan going to TOFW together next year or something ;-)
Just found your blog again :)
Glad to catch a few glimpses and get updated on your life.
Love you,
Kate
WOW! This boy is absolutely gorgeous https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjt8IKIAj6d01Bzb5XLeb9U6CKyJzpp1BrTMLt0o31h47uEdN6hJiNWmZ3kTiSwDpT4_a-Flk-seiY3n3iSCFw6oWlA8PUY3B-ECTj_DXgUr2MVB5mZyKWdkQ3vL_8-J_-26x_VcVbTXCRt/s0/first+day+of+school,+E.JPG I am absolutely in love with his good looks and can't get over how beautiful he is! Now that I am in college and have my own apartment I can put boys who I think look really good on display life size in my hi res digital picture display without my mom saying stuff! When I downloaded this gorgeous little beauty I sharpened the picture and put him on display life size in my bedroom in my hi res digital picture display, and I literally fell in love with the picture. It is so clear and sharp he appears to be directly in front of me looking right at me and smiling at me when I walk up to check him out! He actually looks as though I can reach out and touch him which is really frickin cool, so I finally leaned close and began kissing him. I was like OMG! The display is warm and silky smooth so it seemed like I was really kissing him and that sent shivers up and down my spine. I couldn't believe I had such a good looking boy directly in front of me and I can kiss him to my hearts content in the privacy of my room!
Post a Comment