So I turned the big 3-0 a few weeks ago. It was one of my best birthdays ever. My sister was here. I woke up early and went for a 10-mile run with a good friend. I went out to lunch with David. Aforementioned friend threw a last-minute surprise party for me. A whole bunch of people showed up even though we've only lived here 9 months. I was really touched by that. But mostly I was happy because...I turned 30. Finally.
I know a lot of people have a hard time with 30. They talk about it like it's the beginning of the end or something. But I love that I'm 30, and here's four reasons why:
1. To quote one of my besties, Becky, "I feel like women come into their own in their 30's." She's right. Less pressure to be something you're not. More confidence to keep becoming what you are. Enough maturity and time behind you to know that it's good to just take a deep breath and calm the heck down about all those things you've been stressing about. Things work out. Life goes on. God loves his children. One step at a time, and all that. To quote The Beckster again, "Peace, love, dope." And to quote Alexis, "Carpe the diem." Amen, people. Amen.
2. I have spent my whole life with people gawking at my age. I don't know if it's the graying hair, how close we stacked our children, or what, but people are always surprised to hear how young I am. And they're often awkwardly vocal about it. Like, "You're 28?? Seriously?? I just...wow. I can't believe you're 28. That's crazy. 28!! Honey, did you know Lindsey's only 28?? She's just a baby!! I feel so old!! Oh my gosh, I can't believe you're 28!!" And so on. Seriously. I feel like now that I am 30, maybe they will stop doing that.
3. I think I have earned 30. The first three decades of my life have been good to me. I have learned. I've become a wife, a mother, a homeowner, a home seller. I've helped put a husband through a PhD program. I've completed a bachelor degree and worked as a nurse. I've gone through marital counseling. I've laughed and cried a whole bunch. I don't mind being 30 because I feel 30. In a good, accomplished way.
4. I'm super excited about the next decade of my life. I'm excited to watch my kids and my marriage keep growing. I hope the next decade includes a marathon or two. Or more. And lots of art projects and books and brownies. I know it will have bumps. I'm sure I'll get blindsided by crap that will really hurt. I'm also sure there will be lots and lots of moments where I wonder how life could possibly get any more beautiful than it is. Overall, I think it's going to be great. I'm looking forward to the ways that another ten years of learning and life will refine me.
So...here's to 30. Or 40. Or 50. Or whatever your next big birthday is! Have a happy one!!
10 comments:
It WILL be great! Happy Birthday! Love you! I think you're wonderful!
Best post ever. And only partly because I got quoted. I never got quoted in my twenties. I'm just saying...
You look beautiful. You help me remember how full my life is. Thanks for this one. Love you!
Happy Birthday!! I'm glad you had such a great day.
welcome to the club! I have loved being 30!
I totally agree with this! I turned 30 in June as well and I was really happy about it; for many of the same reasons you stated. So here's to the next 10 and coming more into our own, watching our kids grow etc!!
Well said. So far I love 30! Didn't think I'd be pregnant at 30, but it's been great! I agree with you about the 20's thing...I got the same thing, too. You look great, by the way!
So glad that the most helpful life quote you associate with me is Carpe the Diem! I'm glad you had such a great day and excited outlook! sorry I missed calling! I think I'll just carpe this diem to wish you a great year in the lame-o style of a comment on a blog! Here is to this decade bringing us closer together geographically!
Happy Birthday! And I love this post!
oh Linds!! You are rock'in the 30 I must say! Lov'in the hair too!!
This is wonderful! I feel the same way...but I think you are much better with words. Can I copy and paste it onto my blog when I turn 30?!?
Love you! Love having you as a friend! Happy 30!
Post a Comment