Monday, June 1, 2009

Motherly Confessions

I think too often, we moms look at other moms and think, "Wow, she sure has it all together." It's especially easy to do when the glimpse you see of someone else's life is the view you get through their blog.
Well, I'm boycotting that. Here's some of my small-scale motherly confessions for today...



* This is my ironing pile. There are 38 items here that need to be ironed (more if you count the clothes that have been sitting in the dryer for two days). And there are even more in the closet that I'm not counting because they're children's clothes (seriously? I'm supposed to iron those?) or they're not maternity clothes (I vote they're exempt until I can fit into them again).



* Last week my children ate olives, cheese, and dry Lucky Charms for dinner.



* My children frequently have no clothes on. By "frequently", I mean enough that we actually have established a rule with Elijah that he at least has to put pants on when people come over.



* Sometimes I play Spider Solitaire on the computer in a effort to hide from my motherly responsibilities. I figure the kids don't know the difference between that and legitimate work I have to do on the computer, so...that buys me 15 minutes of time where they think they're supposed to go off and play on their own.



* Now that I've discovered how to renew my library books online, I sometimes keep them for months at a time.



* I almost always buy my children each a doughnut when we go to the store. If I walk fast thereafter, I can get about 1/4 of my shopping done with no child complaints. To me this negates the issue that they already eat too much sugar and doughnuts once or twice a week doesn't help.

10 comments:

shauntel said...

loved it. you're awesome. we all do stuff like that huh.

Becky said...

bless you, Lindsey.

Melody C. Bondurant said...

If those things were confessions...you DO have it all together : ) I think you are going to do great with a third.
I can't wait to hear all about the birth!

Lindsey said...

Mel,
I did say they were SMALL-scale confessions...the big ones drive me to tears sometimes. No, I certainly don't have it all together. On any given day. :)

The Special Reds said...

Your motherly confessions are similar to what mine would be, except I don't even iron! I just take the clothes out of the dryer promptly and hang them up. And ironing kids clothes? Forget it! Congrats on being realistic! It saves a lot of stress and guilt. You should read the Q & A section of the June Ensign (if you haven't already)...really good one on mothering.

The Special Reds said...

Oh, one more thing--the library books! We are the same way! We renew them until they can't be renewed online anymore, then we call in and renew them on the phone and start all over again. Lazy, I know. Funny that you do that, too! And also my kids are in diapers and t-shirts most of the day, too. And I don't cook if Joel won't be here for dinner. There. I'm done with my similar confessions.

Lorraine said...

I love it. My confession is this: Jack was so worried about how I'm doing with 3 kids and him not here that he went and got his mom to come stay with us for a month. I alternate between "this is awesome!" and "I'm such a slacker mom because I can't get it together on my own."

Josh and Aleesha said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. Yes I made the mother's day present on my blog, but it was much easier than a purse. There is a shop around the corner that sells vinyl letters. I bought the saying and then put it on a 8x10 mirror that I bought at the craft store,then I hot glued a flower on the front and a ribbon on the back. Super easy. Oh and our store here gives free chocolate chip cookies so my kids get cookies when I shop. I play may jong in an effort to escape.

jennah said...

your about the best mom i know. now, whens that baby comin???

curly girl said...

I won't even BUY somethiing that will have to be ironed! Luckily, Paul wears a lovely polyester uniform to work! In fact, I was sewing something a few months ago & had the ironing board out and Elaina (who was 5 at the time) asked me, "Mommy, what's THAT?!" LOL