Monday, May 18, 2009

Little things

Big Firsts of the Day...


* We finally found a very close place to recycle white paper (Texas is shamefully non-recycler-friendly) and took our first batch over today. I felt like a good mom as I explained what we were doing and about the importance of taking care of our planet. Ok, no, they weren't completely enthralled in my mini lesson, but I felt good about having given it.


* We planted our first garden this year (we tried an interesting thing called squarefoot gardening), and now something is growing in every square! If all goes as planned, we will have squash, zucchini, sugar peas, spinach, tomatoes, and watermelon (Eli's choice).


* The kids and I went to the Science Spectrum today, where Haven held a tarantula! Eli loved to check it out close-up, but wasn't interested in holding it. Haven was quite passionate about holding it after she saw me do it (I think that's a first for both of us), and she did a great job. It was much bigger than her entire hand; she was fascinated and a tiny bit nervous. What a woman!

* Thanks to happy children and Sesame Street, I took a completely uninterrupted shower this morning. This can't be a literal first, but I'm counting it since I don't remember the last time that happened without David being home.



* Have you experienced any firsts lately?
PS--A friend of mine has recently opened an Etsy shop called "The Avacado Tree."
Cute and simple hair clips and greeting cards.
She's doing a free giveaway...take a look!

1 comment:

Addie said...

Amelia went potty in the little toilet last weekend! That was a big first for her, but I'm sure it'll be a while until we're done with diapers (she'll be 2 in August). That's awesome about your garden, I hope you get to eat the fruits (or vegetables!) of your labor. :)