Sunday, May 17, 2009

In the mind of a four-year-old


Last night Eli was having trouble taking his nighttime prayer seriously. After much wiggling, giggling, asking for blessings of boom-dee-ays, and making his toy crocodiles fight mid-prayer, I finally demanded that he surrender the crocodiles to me. I reminded him that prayers are a big deal--us talking with our Heavenly Father--and he needed to try again and please really think about what he was doing. Suddenly quite mournful (though no actual tears, despite a valiant effort at them), he prayed this prayer in response to my correction:
~
"Dear Heavenly Father (sniff, sniff), I am very sad (sniff, sniff). Please help me to not be sad, but I am (sniff, sniff). I do not like it when my mom takes my crocodiles away!! Amen."

~
That prayer was topped by this one, which he offered passionately and very sincerely this morning before church:
~
"Dear Heavenly Father, please bless that we will have animal crackers in Primary today. And if my teacher doesn't have any more, then we will all be sad and we will all cry. Amen."
~

Too precious. I'm just crazy about that boy.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

That's awesome. We're working on prayers, too. I often wonder how my parents did it, because I guess I have just taken prayer for granted. It's not as easy as it looks.

The Special Reds said...

Very cute prayers. Yes, toys are very distracting during prayertime. I'm looking forward to hearing Julianna say her own prayer. At least she always asks to say it, and we help her. Blake will do the same, but if he doesn't want to keep going, he'll just say "Amen" before we're done helping him and walk away.