Friday, February 27, 2009

Why I Have Had the Same Load of Laundry in My Dryer for 5 Days

In case you were wondering why I have had the same load of laundry in my dryer for five days, it's because it feels self-defeating to fold it and put it away. We go through laundry so fast around here (the other day as I was putting pajamas on Eli, I realized his shorts from the day were still clean and found it so remarkable I actually giggled out loud), that I don't feel like I've accomplished much by doing it.

But I think this is a side-effect of having children.

Case in point: yesterday I vacuumed the car. This was a momentous occasion, since I can't remember the last time I did that. I'm know it was at least 8 months ago. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty proud of myself. As I finished the last seat, I looked up to see Haven climbing all inside the car, dragging a baby stroller behind her (through the car). The stroller was filled with dried leaves she had collected, which, by the time I lifted her out of the car, were strewn and crushed all over the newly vacuumed seats. Thank you for "helping", baby girl. (Significantly different from the word "helping" without quotation marks.)

Case in yet another point: I swept the kitchen this morning. I turned around to get the dust pan. I turned back around to see both my children laying in their bellies, giggling with glee as they blew on the pile I had swept and watched it scatter back all over the kitchen.

So I ask you, my friends, why should I fold my laundry? Why do you fold your laundry? If I wait til I "feel like it" again, will I feel like it before we are all walking around naked for lack of clean clothes?

ADDENDUM: Okay, okay, I folded my clothes and put them away...much to my children's chagrin. I think they would have been pretty pumped about having to run around naked for lack of clothes.

8 comments:

Ashlee Marie said...

Well I don't fold much, just pants. I hang everything I can keep the socks in a bag and just stack underware. I can't put anything in dressers or it ends up all over the floor, so the pants and underware are stacked in the top of the closet, hence hanging everything I can... BUT to answer the question, yes I fold, but only because I do an average of 8 loads (I like to do it all in one day, not spread it out, get it over with) a week. BUT I will say I only take out a load when it's time to put the last load in, so sometimes the last load of the day will be there for almost a week!

Kaylene said...

I fold my laundry because if I don't get it put away, it inevitably gets dragged around the house, thrown out the back door, or used to "clean" the bathtub... effectively doubling the amount of loads I have to put in the washer the next time around!! He tries hard to be "helpful" :)

That said, it frequently waits for three days to be folded anyway.

Amanda said...

Did you write this after coming to my house?

I can take my laundry out of the dryer, but it rarely gets folded and put away for about 1 week.

Love Haven dragging a stroller full of goodies through your clean car...seriously!

When do you find out the sex of your baby? Are you going to?

Josh and Aleesha said...

That is so funny because I was just thinking the same thing as five loads of laundry are on my bed. I spent all day cleaning today and as I was taking my vacum down stairs I noticed mud, dead grass, and sticks all over my newly mopped kitchen, and on the floor in my living room. I was complaining to my mother-in-law and she said one day when we are old we will have laundry folded and clean houses, but we will not have the sounds of laughter or I love you mommy's that go with the unfolded laundry and dirty houses. So I decided I'll leave my laundry waiting for me to fold and my floor needing to be swept and read my kids a story. After all the laundry will always be there.

The Special Reds said...

Laundry often remains in my dryer. When it's folded and put away, Blake usually likes to scatter the folded clothes from his dresser all over his room while he's taking a "nap." At that point, the clothes are just thrown back into his dresser unfolded, because, what's the point? At least they were folded to begin with! I try to put the laundry away the day I do the laundry, because otherwise, it will remain in baskets until everything is dirty again.

Bre said...

hey! I saw your note on my post! I get long pants from longelegantlegs.com They have work out pants. Also layersclothing.com has long yoga pants. I mostly wear shorts or capris when I work out though.

The Bergmans said...

So I put the clean clothes away, (adults folded, kids-nope!) and think I do because otherwise I have no empty laundry baskets to put more dirty clothes in. Maybe I just need to buy more laundry baskets and that would solve that issue, eh?

Susie Faye said...

this makes me feel soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better! and i only have one kid....hm.