Sunday, January 18, 2009

By Jove...I Think I've Got It!

Ok, I've finally decided upon a New Year's word for 2009. It's "forgive."

for⋅give:
1. to grant pardon for/to or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.
2. to give up all claim on account of; remit (a debt, obligation, etc.).
3. to cease to feel resentment against.
4. to cancel an indebtedness.

In the past year I've come to realize just how much anxiety I feel over the job I'm doing as a mother and as a wife. It takes a very conscious effort for me to feel satisfied that what I give is enough. So by choosing this word, "forgive", I mean mostly to remember to forgive myself. For all my perceived shortcomings...to feel the release of knowing that my best effort (even when it's tired or impatient) is good enough. I feel so excited and deeply pleased about how good I think it will feel to focus on applying this word through the year. I like this quote by Joseph B. Wirthlin:


"In most cases, growth comes slowly—one step at a time. We understand this when it comes to mastering a musical instrument, becoming an accomplished athlete, or flying a jet aircraft. Yet, we often can scarcely forgive ourselves when we don’t make the progress we expect in all areas of our own lives. Great sculptors and artists spend countless hours perfecting their talents. They don’t pick up a chisel or a brush and palette, expecting immediate perfection. They understand that they will make many errors as they learn, but they start with the basics, the key fundamentals first. So it is with us. We become masters of our lives in the same way—by focusing on first things first."
Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Kaylene said...

I like that quote thanks for sharing. Good luck with this! I think it's a great choice and shows a lot of thought and good perspective, as it's probably not one of the first words that pops into the mind for a word of the year.

I've been trying to focus on first things first for the last few months and for the first time in my life I think I am getting somewhere! It's been amazing and allows me to feel good about whatever I do get done, and I can then legitimately forgive the rest.

The Special Reds said...

Great choice, and good idea for picking a "word of the year". If you are worried about your mothering skills, then I must have a LOT to worry about. I'm sure you're a wonderful mother--I have no doubt. Considering the amazing person you were when I knew you at BYU, and I do mean AMAZING, you must be the best mother I know! So if you're ever feeling down, just remember that I think you are a SUPERMOM!

Amanda said...

I love it. This is something I am horrible at.

I can tell you put a lot of thought and care into your choosing. I hope it helps you this year.