Thursday, January 15, 2009

Into the Mind of an Almost-Four-Year-Old

Eli is at a fun age. One of my favorite parts of his nearly-4-yr-oldness is that his thoughts are original and all his own. So much of what he says makes me cock my head to the side and think, "huh?", or else just laugh. Here are some things I loved that came from Eli tday:


1. He had his preschool group this morning. When I told him it was time to get dressed, he responded, "But I haven't worn my pajamas to school in a long time. It's very important to me." How can I argue with that? He wore his pajamas to school, complete with the dinosaur rain boots he chose.

2. In the car on the way to preschool, he started telling me about Satan. In his words, "Satan is happy when we whine and is NOT happy when we DON'T whine [I've never said that to him]. He wants us to do mean things, like he wants people to capture Robin Hood." Well said, my man.


3. In preschool today they learned about Martin Luther King, Jr. and what the word "peace" means. I asked him what his favorite part was, and he said, "Fighting with life savers!" (Read, light sabers??) I responded, "What do you mean? I thought you learned about peace?" To which he replied, "Well, Mrs. Holley told us not to fight. But it was pretty fun." Nice...just a little light saber tribute to Mr. King.

4. After lunch he had his quiet time...45 minutes of solo play with his music playing. It's all instrumental, but the last song has people singing the word, "Allelujah". I heard him loudly singing along, saying, "Always moo-yah," every time. So cute. I'll be sad when he figures out what the word really is.


5. I let him pick what we made for dinner, and he resolutely declared that it was a night for pancakes. So we had pancakes for dinner.


6. In the bath, he informed me that the bath was actually "the Indian river, where crocodiles and black rhinos live."


7. While he was bathing, I asked him, "Eli, what's something that really makes you laugh?" And he answered enthusiastically, "Squeekin'!!" What??


I love this little guy. He keeps me hopping...I can never guess what's coming out of his mind next.

This picture is from yesterday. He wore the costume all day.

And also, this picture (also taken yesterday) is one of my all-time favorites of Haven. Don't you just want to eat her cheeks up??

6 comments:

Bre said...

I will feel so blessed if my children are 1/2 as cute as yours! What a beautiful family you have!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! You make me wonder if someday my neverstopingrunning little guy, will talk to me like that and melt me, instead of just making me run after him to stop him from hurting himself with anything on his way. Today was a bad day, but your blog entry gives me hope.....thanks

Peterson's said...

Callie is way into Robin Hood right now so we have been watching it often, so I understand where he is comming from....that Satan.

jamesrivergirl said...

I love this post!

Natalie said...

I was lauging out loud reading this. What a funny kid.

The Special Reds said...

I love the way you've captured Eli's day. I wish I could meet him again, now that's he's almost 4, and ask him some questions, too. And good for you for letting him choose what he wants to wear. Love the pics, too!