Friday, November 14, 2008

Going Green!

I have a soft spot for the "Go Green" campaign. I love recycling and the idea of lessening my carbon footprint, or whatever. Maybe it just strikes a cord with the yuppie, granola, socks-and-sandals Oregonian part of my heart. My love for Go Green is only outweighed by my guilt for not doing more to support it. Texas has an shamefully skimpy public recycling program and I am...(embarrassed gulp)...unwilling to drive my recyclables out to the designated city spot. I wanted to buy a push lawn-mower to reduce toxic emissions, but I was...(embarrassed gulp)...unwilling to spend that much time mowing my lawn and raking up all the grass clippings. You see the problem. My planet-saving conscience doesn't agree with my time-saving actions. (Enter stage left: GUILT.)


So, this week, I took one small step towards embracing Go Green a little more: I bought reusable grocery bags. Hooray for me!! And I feel freed from my guilt...for this week.

Yes, that is a non-disintegratable bag of Lay's chips in my earth-friendly grocery bags. A girl can only do so much in one day.

11 comments:

Kaylene said...

I was just talking to a friend the other day wondering why Texas is so behind on the recycling. But I too just wonder, and don't act.

Good for you, buying bags!! I haven't done that yet and always kick myself when I get to the register and they ask me if plastic is okay with me... I honestly can't stand paper bags, so I just tell them to please use as few bags as possible and not double up. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't...

Our neighbor has one of those completely mechanical wheel lawn mowers (just a sharp wheel, no gas) and it looks pretty cool. It's quieter too, which frankly is the biggest draw to it in my book!

april said...

yeah, but now you have to remember to actually bring your bags when you go to the store. that's my problem. i guess if i should store them in the car, but i haven't done that yet.

Kellie O. said...

I love those bags! I want some. And i will take some of those Lays chip too.
:)

I love your curly hair! Beautiful.

bands said...

I recycle my plastic grocery bags...does that count? We in AZ are sooo ahead of those silly Texans!

GJ Terranova said...

Hi Lindsey and Dave! Good job on your new bags....about a month ago the city gave everybody oversized trash can sized recylcing bins that get picked up every two weeks, it's great. Anyway, I am glad I found this blog site. Kaylene just found me on Facebook, do I thought I would start my search for the Servino's site.
I saw your parents and Kevin S. a few weeks ago.
Well, I hope all is well with you guys. We rae doing great, staying busy with work, swim team, callings, etc.
Shoot me an email some time and please tell Dave hi.
garyterranova@yahoo.com

GJ Terranova said...

Hi Lindsey and Dave! Good job on your new bags....about a month ago the city gave everybody oversized trash can sized recylcing bins that get picked up every two weeks, it's great. Anyway, I am glad I found this blog site. Kaylene just found me on Facebook, do I thought I would start my search for the Servino's site.
I saw your parents and Kevin S. a few weeks ago.
Well, I hope all is well with you guys. We rae doing great, staying busy with work, swim team, callings, etc.
Shoot me an email some time and please tell Dave hi.
garyterranova@yahoo.com

Candace said...

Those look like awesome bags. I have bought a couple, but I definitely need to buy more.

Melody C. Bondurant said...

Congrats...(maybe in more ways than one : ) I finally bought my reusable bags...They are not so fancy and green like yours though. I like them!!!

And, yes, we can only do so much in one day!!!

Days of Our Lives said...

Okay, so you're smarter than me. I bought one green bag, all the time thinking "I can't buy 12 bags and bring them to the store everyweek!" Actually, now that I am in the land of terrible grocery stores, my Market Street green bag actually is little bit sentimental to me!

Hope you guys are well!

Becky

The Special Reds said...

Way to go for buying green bags. Every time I'm at the store I think about doing it, but of course I don't, because then I have to pay for all of them! Maybe if they were 10 cents. ANd then I always worry that I won't remember to bring them back when I shop. But I do save the plastic bags--I try not to throw them away!

TuCk N JuLeS said...

Did you vote for Obama? :)