Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Return from the House Vortex

Hi! I'm back! First off, here's some recent pics:

Elijah with Dave's mom

Elijah with my mom
Austin and Kelsie (my siblings)
My mom and Dave teasing each other (one of the things they do best)
Watching an early-morning thunderstorm
My and my dinosaur




Well, we're moved in, almost all the way settled, and half through with the house projects we wanted to do. Can I give a hip-hip-hooray for backyards?? Ahhh, bliss. Last week Eli had a friend over and they found gobs of snails behind a board in the backyard. They played with them for over an hour, taking them for Jeep rides, pushing them on the swing, and otherwise abusing them. During that time, I was hanging some laundry on the clothesline to dry, feeling happy about going green, and listening to Eli's giggles while Haven explored the dirt by my feet. The sun was shining, and it just felt so picturesque.





The house we bought is a good, solid house. It's in great condition, but has needed some updating (ex: the woman who owned it before us had creamy yellow paint and eggplant-colored carpet throughout the whole home, kitchen included). So in the last month and a half, we've painted the ENTIRE inside of the house (every nook and cranny, literally), changed out the electrical outlets and light switches and plates, put in new doorknobs and kitchen hardware, pulled out the big weed bush in the backyard, cut the branches of the neighbor's tree that hung over our power lines, sprayed the house (inside and out) and yard for all kinds of spiders and bugs (ahhhh, West Texas), had new carpet and wood laminate flooring installed, moved in, and unpacked. Thankfully, we had help from both my mom, sister, and my mother-in-law, who each flew out to bestow their benevolence upon us. I'm remembering how much I love projects. It feels so good to work hard, use my hands, and be tired at the end of the day.



Anyhow...it's nice to be back. I missed your blogs. :)

9 comments:

LeMira said...

I'm so excited to see pictures of your new house and renovations.

Ashlee Marie said...

So much fun~ Do you have any before and after pictures! We'd love to see all that you did!

sorichfamily said...

rock on! it sounds like you are finally settled in with a bunch of projects under your belt! hooray! and i love the pictures!! looks like you are having too much fun! we sure do miss you around these parts!! congratulations on the new house!

ps...did haven move out? she wasn't in the pics!

The Special Reds said...

Way to go! Home projects really are fun! Especially when it's your own house that you are fixing--you take more pride in your work. And I can't believe how big Kelsie is! Oh my gosh!

Bre said...

Welcome Back, Friend! Umm....when did Kelsey turn into a young woman? Wasn't it just yesterday I was in your BDA apartment playing "BRATZ" with her?

Blake Shirley said...

WOW! How wonderful for you guys. It must feel great to have a freshly painted and floored HOUSE of YOUR OWN! with BACKYARD!! I want to hang my laundry outside too but my little one would NOT be sitting peacefully by my feet as I did so. You do need to post recent face-on pics of Haven though Jack was going crazy seeing Eli and your mom, who he remembered right off. He doesn't understand, though why on earth you'd try to get rid of the bugs from your house before you moved in. How crazy of you. Well, congrats on the big move. We miss you tons still! Sorry, it's gonna say posted by Blake, but I believe in your good brain to figure out who it really is!

Leah Rainey said...

Lindsey- I'm excited for you on your new house. It sounds strangely similar to our move, however we had a little pet damage to remove as well. Congrats and enjoy the back yard!!!

Peterson's said...

YEAH!!! A HOUSE! That is sooo awesome! I can't get away from my parents let alone our own house! Hope to see you soon!
chels

Zach and Kate Hulet said...

post some more pictures of you house... inside and out! I love painting and working too. It's something that unlike dishes, laundry, and cleaning up toys... it can't get undone or there isn't more to do, the SECOND you finish :)