Friday, March 6, 2015

Kai in the wee hours of the morning

We are having a consistent problem with Kai coming in and waking us up at night. I'm talking, every. single. night.  It's always between 2am and 4am and is either regarding:

1) him needing help going potty (he doesn't need help anymore) 
2) him not being able to find his blanket, or 
3) him needing help closing his bedroom door exactly the way he wants it because he just went potty. 

It's not my favorite thing right now. We've tried several things to stop the madness, but apparently we haven't found the right tactic yet b/c it just. keeps. happening.

Well, David has been out of town this week. Last night Kai came in to my room at about 3:15am and this happened:
Kai: (loudly whispering) "Mom. Mom. MOM."
Me: (exhausted, very sleepy, and a more than a little annoyed) "What, dude?? What do you need??"
Kai: (cheerfully, still whispering) "Hi-five!!!"

I confusedly and sleepily put my hand out, he enthusiastically hi-fived it, then happily galloped back to his room. I did not hear from him again until morning.

???

What are you supposed to say to the 3 1/2 yr old who is just so gleeful that he has to come get a hi-five in the middle of the night?? Nothing, I guess. All I know to do is just swoop him into your arms and smother him with kisses the next morning. Which is exactly why he's going to be waking us up again tonight, I suppose. Ahhhh, parenthood. I sure do love that kid.

No comments: