Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Word.

I know someone who chooses a new "word of the year" every January 1st. I like that. I'm not big into traditional New Year's resolutions. I really like that other people do them, but I'm a pretty determined box-checker and when I decide I want something, or want to change something, I usually start working at ASAP and keep at it until I'm satisfied. I can be a little crazy that way. To formally declare a new goal on January 1st doesn't really work for me. My whole life is one big long string of resolutions.

I think I like the word thing, though. I've only done it once before--a few years ago I picked "peace", and it really did work for me. My mind was drawn to the word throughout the year. It served as a gentle reminder for me to choose peace. I'm going to try it again.

This year, I'm picking the word
trust.

Trust God.
Trust myself. (I have some rebuilding to do here.)
Trust that goodness comes from struggle.

For a variety of reasons (read: moving our family to Texas, David starting a private practice there, me starting to work more hours, and a smattering of issues far too personal to publicly blog about), this is what my heart needs to focus on this year.

Years ago, our therapist suggested to me that my life would be more peaceful if I would make a continual habit of giving my stresses to God. That concept made theoretical sense to me, but practically, I simply couldn't figure out how to do it. It's not like you can just gift-wrap your heartaches and physically drop them off on God's doorstep. It took me a few years to start understanding how you can actually take a stress and "give them to God." Turns out, you can. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it is the most beautiful concept--and reality--ever. It makes me feel happy, peaceful, grateful, and loved, all the way to my core. For me, it is very closely associated with trusting God. 

I think 2014 is going to be a tough, great year. Bring it on. :)


Do New Year's resolutions work for you?
Do you have one (or a word/goal) you're focusing on this year? 
What were the best parts about your 2013?

2 comments:

Becky said...

How very interesting. I don't usually set formal New Year's resolutions either, but mostly because I tend to be too scattered brained to remember it for more than a few weeks. Desperation is usually what brings about change for me and, like you, once I'm motivated, I get to work. HOWEVER, (have I told you this?) probably in desperation, I chose 2013 to be the year of "No." I dedicated an entire year to learning to say no when I felt no, and by about October, I really felt like I was learning. Not surprisingly, it gave me some needed perspective on the scope and time-frame of learning to change things that you have to reach down so deep for. It was so effective for me, but took so much time to make such a tiny change, that I considered dedicating 2014 to saying no *without* excuse or apology (learning to own my time and capabilities, and learning to trust my friends to respect that). I've decided that I've got myself moving forward enough that that will come with time, and have, instead, decided that 2014 will be the year of Love. That needs too much explanation. But I love that you posted about this. Its exactly where my thoughts have been this last month. :)

Marne said...

Oh friend, this all rings very close to my heart! I don't know what it all means for you and your life, but it makes sense in the wonderful craziness that is me and my life. Trust!