Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Love/Hate

For my kids someday...

A list of things I really love:
- the color blue, in every shade
- being caught up in a great book
- Spencer W. Kimball's poetry
- my grandmother's skin
- elderly human names for pets (eg: Edna, Norma, Gertrude, Winifred, Mortimer, Frank, Milton)
- the wrinkles just starting to form at the corners of my eyes
- long runs with no time pressure
- zip-up hoodie sweatshirts
- education
- being organized
- being in my 30's
- women who are empowered but gentle
- when underdogs win
- people who include others and are kind
- spontaneous, true laughter (this is a huge coping mechanism for me...finding the humor)
- taking naps (a rare opportunity)
- being 5 months pregnant, and also delivering babies (labor is hard, but I love it)
- the feeling of being productive
- Thai or Japanese curry, apple pie, carrot cake, and Moolenium Crunch Bluebell ice cream (to which I add extra peanuts and caramel sauce...it's pretty much the bomb dot com...yes, I just used that phrase)
- Mother Teresa
- the word "craptastic"
- loud toenail polish
- my father's storytelling abilities
- being a mother and a wife
-Elijah's laugh, and how quick he is to let it peal
- silver
- shoulder rubs and massages
- Oregon
- correct grammar and spelling
- Haven's kind heart and chocolate brown, thick hair
- Zumba
- date night with David
- grace and humility
- swimming in the heat of a Southern summer afternoon
- Dane's bravery and constantly-working mind
- stick bugs (walking sticks? Not sure what they're called...)
- the cello, acoustic guitar, and piano
- a sprinkle of freckles
- Kai's sensitivity to other people's emotions
- Weezer, the Beatles, RHCP, and Dave Matthews Band
- big dogs
-full-armed embraces
- my mother's singing voice

A list of things I really do NOT love:
- corporate fraud (makes me crazy angry)
- Obamacare
- that quote by Mary Kay Ash that says something like, "Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know it, so it keeps on flying anyway." I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. (If you happen love that quote, sorry, and more power to you. I just...don't.)
- the phrase "anti-aging" and the crazy pressure society puts on women to be skinny and sexy
- the usage of LOL and hashtags on Facebook  #seriouslystopwiththehashtagspeople
- having such a hard time finding tall exercise or pajama pants (I rarely have trouble finding jeans.)
- traveling with babies
- ladybugs (our city had an infestation of them once when I was growing up, and they have grossed me out ever since...my brother used to claim that if you saw something--anything--in mass, teeming quantities, it would become gross. It was true, with ladybugs.)
- small talk
- when people tear other people down
- getting my hair done (dyed or styled) or played with
- being tickled
- movies that end sadly
- when people write in all caps
- living in places with no trees
- cats
- green olives, plain cheese, Rolos, black licorice

What do you love and not love?

2 comments:

Hobbs Family said...

what a deliciously wonderful post! I really needed to be reminded of the joy in life...and that's its ok it's not all roses all the time :-)
My loves:
*calling Klint husbando,him calling me wefe since our 4th month of marriage.
*having time to prepare a truly yummy and delicious lunch, just for myself. Eating it in silence and peace.
*Waving at complete strangers as they drive by our house
*My nana's fingernails and her smirky smile reserved only for sarcastic occasions.
*phone calls with my sister
*hearing others bear sweet, sincere testimony of Jesus Christ
*making paper snow flakes
*getting the mail
*smiles from random people
*watching others be kind and gentle and compassionate, when they think no one is watching. it's inspiring.
*Lindsey Servino!
Things I do NOT love
*windy days=spring time (sigh) in west texas
*being cold (this is completely new..i used to LOVE it!)
*wasting time on the internet
*taking lucy to the vet...well actually just paying the vet after taking her.
*rice pudding, or even the smell of it.
*Quiznos (pregnancy aversion that has held strong for 11 years!)
*rude people who don't give you the benefit of the doubt
*the sound and instinctive feel of fabric on teeth...chills.

BWei said...

Loved this--have you tried the tall black exercise pants by Champion for Target? The longs are pretty good.