Thursday, May 23, 2013

One more load of little onesies: A blog rant

Brace yourselves for a blog rant. Sorry. Sort of. Ok, maybe not really. Whatevs. Here goes...

A friend of mine recently posted on FB that some mornings she wished so much she could just crawl back into bed and sleep, without anyone touching her or talking to her or calling out "Mom" over and over. She is a beautiful person and a really great mother. I read her post and thought, "Amen, sista'." Then I read the responses. In one of them, a fellow mother told her something along these lines, "Oh, treasure these times. They go so fast, one day you'll wish you could have this time back. Just love it!" She supported her point by posting an exceedingly sentimental song/video thing about "wishing you could have those years back again." I understand what she was going for there, but, honestly, for me--not helpful. At all. 

To me, when someone says, "I'm having a hard time as a mother today," if you answer, "Oh, don't wish it away!! It goes so fast!!", you are adding to the problem. You are correcting and rebuking instead of supporting and loving, which evokes guilt instead of hope. Now, that person not only has  to deal with her tough mama-day; she also has to wonder if she has done something wrong by having a tough mama-day at all. Double fail.

With the deepest part of my heart, I love being a mother. I grew, birthed, and nursed four babies in 6 1/2 years. It was (is) exhausting to me. I would do it all over again in a moment. I don't have words to describe the beauty and preciousness that is motherhood. I cry when my kids go to kindergarten. I didn't think I'd be a crier, but I totally am. I am sure I will cry like a baby all throughout their senior slide show and when we send them off on missions or to college or whatever, and a billion times in between now and then. I know will miss them horribly. But even knowing all that, a part of me still feels frustrated when people tell me to "enjoy every moment", or say things like "what I wouldn't give to wash one more load of little onesies" or--my personal favorite--"I loved every minute of raising my babies". Really? Every minute? I highly doubt that. What about the minutes when you were scrubbing vomit from in between crib slats in the middle of the night? Or the minutes where you watched your little one sleep in a hospital crib with IV's coming out of him because he couldn't breathe right, and you worried for him as you ached for your kids still at home whom you had hardly seen in days? Did you love those minutes too?

Motherhood is a package deal. It's wonderment, joy, beauty, and feeling close to heaven, combined with incredible fatigue, hesitancy, desperation, and frustration. The highs are inextricably linked with the lows. You get to rock your sweet, sweaty, sleeping toddler while you sing to him and stroke his hair, and then later you get to put that same sweet toddler in time-out for screaming and biting his sister. You can't wish nostalgically for one moment without wishing for the other, too.

My favorite motherhood moments take my breath away...watching a sleeping baby in footie pajamas with her knees tucked up under her so her little bum is up in the air. Giving birth. Holding an infant for the first time--new, perfect, tiny, pure, fuzzy, mine, God's. Listening to my kids laugh in the dark together after I have tucked them in bed. Reading a book to a toddler on my lap. Illogical conversations with a three year old. Sincere and deep conversations with an eight year old. Listening to their testimonies of Jesus Christ. Holding caterpillars. Realizing your kids is old enough to be sincerely funny. Watching them be brave or kind. Stuff like that makes me crazy excited for all the years ahead and all the new favorite moments that will come as they grow older.

But the hard stuff is...sincerely hard. And if I'm honest, I do not enjoy every moment. I enjoy that I HAVE the moments. I feel deeply grateful that I have been able to bear children and raise them myself--the magnitude of that gift never feels far from my mind. It is one of my very, very favorite blessings. I love and am grateful for their health, their vibrancy, their uniqueness...I am grateful for their very existence. But it's not all cupcakes and roses. It was never meant to be. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed, wildly incompetent, tired, heavy-hearted, or short-tempered. At those time, I still feel gratitude--always gratitude--but not necessarily enjoyment. And I think that's ok. Some times are just tough. 

So...I guess the moral here is that I hope one day, in fifteen years, when Dave and I have launched all our children, instead of saying, "What I wouldn't give to have our babies back again!" I will look at him and say something like this, "I'm so glad we got to raise our babies. I miss the good things. There were a lot of those. But I am glad the tough things are behind us. It feels right that we are where we are. We had a good run, didn't we?" And then we will hold hands and move on to the next phase of blessings and challenges. And when I hear a tired, young mom tell me she wishes her kid would sleep through the night or that she could have one quiet afternoon to herself, I hope I don't judge her. I hope I respond by smiling and saying something like, "Yeah, it can be tough, can't it? I remember it. You're doing a great job. Hang in there. Can I hold that sweet baby for you for a little while?"

And I think we will both be better for it.
Without question, open-mouthed baby kisses belong in the "Favorite Moments" category. No room for discussion on that one. :)

13 comments:

Jan Nerenberg said...

Lindsey: Truer words have not been spoken. There's good news and bad news, however.

The good news is that all the tough, hard, vomited in their bed, cleaned up, then they vomit in your bed episodes, the times-out, the I-would-pay-cash-money-for-8-hours-of-straight-undisturbed-sleep, and the feelings of helplessness, incompetence, and frustration become somehow quite funny when retold over holiday tables. Trust me, it becomes hilarious but at the time it is happening, it is just 'hard work.' Stay the course and know that the Nana's of the world survived and so will you.

The not so great news is that you never stop being a mother, even after they are launched. You become cheerleader, sometimes confidant, therapist, and sometimes mom-on-a-shelf, who is taken down when needed. But this confusing time is beautiful too. Just when you know how to be a mama, you have to learn how to be a mom/mother to adults that you can't scoop up and put in time out. The frustrations and feelings of inadequacy are different and sometimes you want to scream into a pillow or put your head in an oven (not really, well kinda sorta), but you love over and above, in between, and forever.

It's the love that is the constant through the stages. So hang in there, lovely Lindsey. Take naps with them when you can. Be kind to yourself because you are a brilliant mom and just exactly made to order for your little brood. Laugh out loud. Dance. Allow yourself to be human. Motherhood will drive you to your knees, to tears, and to the heights of testimony. It's all part of the journey.

Blessings on you from a survivor!

jenifer said...

I'm with you sister... I have thought the same thing many times.
Although, as a mother who has been on bed rest for months and away from my little ones for weeks, things have changed for me. I always loved mothering- but now my heart aches to have little ones around me while I sleep. After months of not being able to cook dinner, fold laundry, hold my kids, etc., it is painful to hear moms lamenting. I still remember that it wasn't all roses, but I miss the dailiness. From my hospital bed, I want to tell my old self how much I will physically ache for those menial days.

I think older mothers who comment are commenting from their own place of pain, not arrogance. Perhaps they are wishing that they had had greater perspective when they were going through it themselves.

I hope I'm never a mom that gives guilt trips to other mothers, but honestly, after listening over and over and not saying anything, sometimes I have to say-- I would give anything to have one normal day with my children.
You might think you already know that in the midst of your daily whinings-- but spend months Skyping your baby watching her cry for you through the computer screen and things do change.

Although I was a mom who whined through my first pregnancy, I watched older moms who handled pregnancy with grace and grit. Their examples taught me to be stronger-- where moms who just whined along with me made me feel better. I am grateful for both perspectives. Even now, I am grateful for the sisters who cry with me and for those who share their own hard stories and remind me that things could be worse.
You will be both!!

I guess in my older age, I have compassion both for the tired young mother and the advising older mother... Really-- I know that no matter how much I will enjoy a house that stays clean and a good night sleep-- I will always miss these beautiful days of stretching, abundance and discovery. Today, I would give anything to wake up in the night and rock my baby. As I contemplate death, the hardest thought is not being there to rock, and comfort, and love. Perspective does change things. Bed rest has been God's way of teaching me to cherish every moment. I am so grateful for His divine reminder.

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey said...

Argh. As you can tell from all my deleted comments, I have struggled with the words to respond. Sorry. Should have given it more time before I pushed "publish." :)

Jan--thanks. I love you and appreciate your words and wisdom. That was such a nice way to start my day. I'll reread your comment lots of times, I am sure.

Jenifer--you are right. We often lack perspective. I thought of you quite a bit as I wrote this post, actually. I wondered how your experience would change me. I admire the wisdom your experience is giving you. As I have read your blog posts, I have found myself praying for greater appreciation of my "simple" day-to-day blessings. I want to be always aware of them. I think on a daily basis, my heart does trends towards joy and gratitude. I adore being a mother--the whole package--and try to communicate it regularly to my children and spouse. But there is so much room for growth in me.

Love you and am praying for you and yours!

Lindsey

jenifer said...

I don't even know why I felt compelled to comment on this blog. I think it just hit me on a very "I wish I was home complaining about dishes instead of worrying whether or not my central line is clotting" morning.

The hardest things in life are the every days. As much as I've idealized them I do remember the hard of it very well. I honestly agree 100% with what you wrote! It rubs me the same wrong as when people talk bad about irreverent kids in sacrament meeting-- I want to say, instead of judging offer to help!

Sorry if my comment was exactly like the offensive comment you were talking about.
Honestly-- I love it when people are brave enough to tell me their struggles because we all have them!!
You are a great mom! Thanks for your cute blog. Forgive me if I came on a bit strong-- I am a bit mental these days. :)

BWei said...

I totally hear you and also appreciated the other comments. Have you read The Happiness Project? It has been on my mind of late as I am struggling with my own challenges raising Clara and choosing to look for the good. Btw this past week I was organizing my notes box and came across a lovely note you wrote to me when I was called as RS pres in our ward. You are a pretty awesome lady and I am a big fan.

Becky said...

I think you can only love and cherish as deeply as you've struggled. We can love and cherish the beautiful breath-taking moments of motherhood because we know the anguish of the price we pay. If every moment were breath-taking and cherish-worthy, we wouldn't know it or know to be grateful for it. We miss it when its gone because it was overwhelmingly good, but also very bad sometimes. We NEED to hurt; the Lord never intended for us to love every moment. And suggesting that we should devalues the reality and humanity of the struggle, the bone-tiredness and the fire-in-your-eyes frustrations and the down-on-your-knees helplessness that make the good times so good.

I was chatting with a friend at YW the other night and we discovered that we have both gone through very similar financial tribulation. Rob and I can see the edge of the woods now, but she's in the thick of it. We stood there like boobs, blubbering and hugging and laughing and commiserating and seeing a glimpse into each other like never before. I could have told her that she'll look back fondly someday at the nights she spends sobbing into her pillow and pleading with the Lord for answers and peace because with a little time she'll be able to see how tightly she was wrapped in His care and how constant the tutelage of the Spirit was. But it wasn't the appropriate time (her pain is too present) and she wouldn't have believed me. (I wouldn't have.) And, most importantly, it would have ruined one of the most sublime human experiences: human connection. I love complaining with my friends about motherhood. I already know we all love it more than life itself. It just makes me feel validated and understood and hopeful to know that I'm not the only one stumbling through. We connect in our suffering. So I guess I relish and cherish my suffering in that sense. Hey, look at me! I'm doing it! You should try this Lindsey! Its awesome. Kidding. Can you tell this has been on my mind a lot lately too? Thanks for letting me add to your rant. :)

The Barbers said...

Can I tell you how much I love your blog! I cried reading this post. It is SO TRUE.

Natasha said...

Beautifully said!

Peterson's said...

Many times I turn to Shawn and say I don't like my name today... that name being MOMMY. Those days when you hear it called and instead of warmth flooding over my soul I feel only my body tense and a deep breath escape my lungs.

CP said...

This obviously provoked great thoughts and comments. I just wanted to say this is my first time back to your blog in quite some time, and I dying laughing at the comments in the right hand side section from the kids. UH-mazing! Love you!

Rebeckah said...

It is startling to me how it feels like you can open up the inarticulate, feeling-y part of my brain and translate it to beautiful English.
It makes me proud that your thoughts resonate so closely with my own, like maybe I'll be like you when I grow up or something.
Now listen carefully here because I have three important words for you: write a book.
Loves.