(Did you like that title? It's in boring-and-ridiculously-long title format, research-paper-style. Nice, huh? It's a little trick I picked up along the journey of David's education.)
Most people think I'm pretty chill. And about most things, I really am. But when it comes to my performance as a mother and wife, I am The Queen Of Anxiety And Complete Non-Chillness. It's an impressively long title, I know. You'll just have to trust me when I say I've earned it. Nothing brings out the crazies in me like thinking I might be failing as a wife and mother. I'm not quite sure where that comes from...but I'm not quite sure how much that matters anyway. The fact is, it's there, I see it, and it is an important part of my learning curve here on earth.
Anxiety is a soft word for fear. I didn't recognize it in myself until a few years into our marriage, when it reared its ugly head and started contributing to some serious marital problems. You see, when one person is afraid they might be screwing every important thing up, my experience is that they either eventually shut down out of shame, or they put their fists up and start fighting out of self-defense, like an emotional fight-or-flight response. That kind of fighting can be intense, because it's fueled by self-preservation, desperation, and fear that your worst suspicions just might be true: you're not enough. Not enough to raise children who don't harbor life-long scars from your failures, not enough to preserve their sweet perfection, not enough to keep the husband you were lucky to end up with, or, if you do keep him, not enough to make him happy. It's a horrible beast to battle.
I don't remember when I finally stopped fighting the battle long enough to see that the beast was bigger than I was. But one day, some years into our marriage, I did. I saw it for what it was. I saw the toll it was taking on David and the kids (it was years more before I saw the toll it was taking on me) and I resolved to fix it. I worked so hard. I tried to squash it down and just be happy and relaxed and to tell myself what a good job I was doing. I thought if I worked hard enough, I could get rid of it. I prayed my guts out. I did make progress, but it was slow and difficult. One of my greatest accomplishments during this phase was climbing into bed one night and actually thinking to myself for the first time ever, that I had done a good job as a mom that day. I hadn't blown it. I had made some mistakes and lost my patience a couple times, but overall, I thought I had done a decent, respectable job. Elijah was four years old.
But still, it wasn't really until years later, in marital therapy, that I really began to GET it. Our therapist told me one day that my anxiety wasn't going to go anywhere--that it would likely be something I would feel to some degree, my whole life. I felt defeated. But then he followed it up by reminding me that everybody's working on something, and although I probably couldn't get rid of it, I could learn to recognize it, work through it, and minimize it. It was a huge "AHA!!" moment for me, because for the first time, I didn't feel broken for feeling so anxious, and incompetent for being unable to "fix" it. I felt...human. Flawed but good. And it completely changed my approach.
I started learning to allow David to help me through my anxiety instead of trying to muscle it down on my own (this inevitably leads to some type of explosion or meltdown, for me). I started learning to recognize what anxiety feels like, instead of mistaking it for stress or lack of sleep or anger or anything else. I started learning to talk about it. I started learning about self-forgiveness and acceptance. During this time, I was also asked to preside over the local branch of our church's worldwide women's organization (called the Relief Society). Serving in that capacity taught me more about the Atonement and our eternal worth than I could ever have hoped for. And it turns out, those things have everything to do with understanding that with the Savior, you are, in fact, enough. Flawed and messed up, we are enough. Beautiful, isn't it? And I am sure now, that the Savior wants us to be as gentle with ourselves as He has asked us to be, with others.
So last week, I was thinking about a particular choice in my life that I've decided to move forward with, and I could feel my anxiety rising by the minute. I made this decision very carefully and have counseled with family and close friends about it. So when I started second-guessing myself, I was so relieved and proud that I finally SAW what I was doing. In the moment. That night David asked how I was doing, and I smiled this truly happy smile and answered that I suspected I was becoming a bit of a crazy person lately, and I felt like I had accomplished something amazing by recognizing it. We talked about it--both the recognition and the anxiety. He helped. I laughed as I told him that I had decided to get through it by:
1. Relying on the guidance of the friends and family I have counseled with (since they are NOT thinking like crazy people AND have my best interest in mind--a really wonderful combo), and...
2. Completely ignoring my inner voice right now.
Number two totally cracks me up, for some reason. It's so ironic. You go your whole life with everyone encouraging you to pay attention to your inner voice, to listen to your gut, to trust your instincts. Those are really good life skills. But they only apply to people who are thinking rationally. Those of us with some serious anxiety spikes, have to acquire the beautiful skill of knowing when to listen, and when to completely ignore that inner voice. Ignoring it feels a bit like putting on a blindfold and trusting the person whose hand you are holding, to lead you through a mine field. I'm so blessed that David is such a good land mine navigator. Among other things, I very much need him for that. And really, I guess it's not actually ignoring your inner voice. I guess in actuality the real "inner voice" (such an earthy, granola term, but...I don't know what to substitute for it) is the one that tells you to calm down, trust others, and be at peace. Everything else is just noise.
And that's it. No earth-shattering wrap up to this one. I just have been thinking so much lately about learning, growing, forgiving, accepting, loving and changing. I'm so glad we have a lifetime to do it. And I'm happy to look back at how far I've come, and sigh a happy sigh. There is something to be said for heading in the right direction, even if you have a long way to go.
Thoughts, anyone?
10 comments:
I think we all have 3 inner voices, our own thoughts, the voice of the adversary, and the voice of the Spirit. Learning to distinguish between these three voices is essential. I have learned that the Spirit is soft, clear and directs you to do good. "read your scriptures this morning", "invite them over for dinner", "love him". Immediately following the Spirit comes the adversary, "dont invite them over, your house is a mess. You are always the ones who invite, maybe next week.". My voice is the loudest and most distracting-- constantly analyzing, "should I read my scriptures first or throw in a load of laundry? Should I invite them over now, after sacrament or later... What are we going to eat? Why am I always doing these hard things?". I think what you say is right-- but I think it has helped me to recognize what inner voice I am ignoring and what one I instinctually never ignore.
When I first learned of this idea and started recording the voices in my mind, I was surprised at how few promptings I received. Ha!! Most of my burdens were of my own making!! Promptings come peacefully and simply-- lots and lots of rationalizing "you are already doing enough" was an easy way for me to recognize Satan trying to keep me from following a prompting. And boy oh boy did I waste a lot of time in dumb analysis that just gave me a headache.
Ignore away friend! Just ignore with confidence the right voices and listen to the voice of peace and happiness! (ps- actually, you don't have to ignore-- you can crush it or stop it!!). Just my two cents...
I have had a related epiphany. For the first time, very recently, I looked in the mirror and saw myself outside of the realm of pretty/ugly/overweight/thin/choose-any-descriptive-word, and just studied my details. I realized that I have nothing to do with beautiful in the conventional sense of the word and I found it so liberating. I am not some amalgam of adjectives. I just have my face, my body, my scars. I took a good, hard, look at them and then I owned it. I took ownership of myself.
I look exactly the way I do, and that's what matters.
I feel like you just did that on a really profound emotional level. I'd like to do that some day. Make sense?
Lindsey - I loved you as a child, I admired you as a young woman, and I'm so proud of you as an adult. I'm glad I can call you friend and I really value your words of wisdom. I'm learning them too as I'm in Wales. Such a shame I didn't learn them earlier but then we are all on a separate path that the Lord directs. Life is like an onion, we just keep peeling away the layers and finding more... to fix, to love, and to learn. Blessings on you journey. Love you.
I am right with you sister! My SIL says, "Satan can't get us to do bad, so he gets us to feel bad about the good we're doing.". When I noticed my voice in my head I heard worry and questions and a long list of to do. Echardt Tolle is a good "live in the now" philosophy that has helped me to quiet the worry and just be in the moment. I have come to realize that there is always more we could do. My goal is to maintain that feeling of peace... Where I am. I naturally try to improve each day-- I consciously accept my imperfection and the imperfection of others. Another friend said, "we always talk about bei g like Christ meaning we need to be perfect like Him. What if He really just wants us to love imperfect people like He does." (ourself included)
Honestly, I don't have any advice-- you're great! We think alike! I tend to think true doctrine-- identifying the voices-- can help us both create internal peace without the need to numb or ignore. I think it was Brigham Young who called Satan scratch. When he heard Satan in his mind he would say out loud "you thought you got me scratch." or "quiet Scratch or I'll give her two hams.". Good luck friend!! This is a great quest!!
I love you! You are one amazing lady!! This life is such an interesting journey learning about our physical and spiritual selves. Way to go! Moments like these are so great!
Rebeckah,
Sorry this has taken so long! What I wanted to say in response to your comment, was that I think that's amazing. To own yourself--your story, your life, your body, your strengths and weaknesses--is one of the most difficult and courageous things I think we can do in this life. So phenomenal. And the blessings of doing that bless you and your spouse, then flow right down to your children...Violet is SO lucky to have a mom who is making that kind of ownership and self-acceptance a priority. Sometimes I find that I get in a really good place with stuff like that, then, later, lose some of my footing and have to work to regain it. I think that's normal. Owning yourself is a life process/way of being, not a one-time event. You rock. But...we already knew that. :)
Lara and Jan and Jen--thank you for your comments. Love you guys!
Pretty much whenever I'm angry, it's because I was anxious/fearful first. I think it does help to acknowledge that in the moment, because then the anger goes away and I can either deal with what I'm afraid of, or I can realize that I'm irrationally afraid and need to let it go.
I just need to remember this--all the time.
Chuckled at some of the things you said because I identified.
You are a beautiful person, Lindsey. And strong.
And, I loved what Rebeckah said.
I love your blog!!! This post is fascinating for me. I'm going to be mulling it over in my head for a while...in a good way. I'll try and get back to you with my 'results'. :)
Great post! What a wonderful thing to have been able to share. I have major anxiety too but mine is in the form of major fear that my kids will die soon, Wade will leave me, he will go inactive, my kids will get cancer. It's so consuming when I let it. The only thing that works for helping me through that awful fear is praying for comfort and peace. The minute I feel that anxiety/fear I pray and I immediately feel peace. Isn't it such a blessing that we have the knowledge and ability to know that we can receive immediate comfort and peace? I would be a complete disaster without it.
I just love you!
Post a Comment