Wednesday, August 22, 2012

OCD

I've decided that my life needs a marathon in it. It's been on my bucket list for a decade. And even though it seems like now is not a great time to train for one, with my small kids, I'm feelin' it big time, so...maybe now is the time.

So I bought myself a better water belt than the one I've had. It's awesome. And a couple more pairs of the spandex that are exactly the kind I love. I have my GPS watch that has changed my life (not kidding), my shoes, and a really great friend as a running partner. I'm armed and ready.

David helped me find a tiny little Ipod thingy (read: David researched and bought one, and I called out what color I wanted--blue please--from the other room) so I can listen to music on my long runs. I don't usually like music while I run--I just like to let my mind wander wherever it wants. But after about an hour/hour and a half of running, I start to feel my fatigue, and also I begin to wonder if I'm crazy because my brain hasn't stopped wandering once the whole time, and so I am ready for the distraction of music.

So I'm really excited for my Ipod-whatever-it-is. Except I have also been concerned,  because I am just crazy enough to be super bothered when the beat of my music doesn't match the beat of my feet striking the ground. Big problem for me. Not kidding.

So I ran around my neighborhood with a metronome in my hand. And I discovered that I run at approximately 180 beats per minute, musically speaking. So now I'm on the hunt for songs that are within 10 beats per minute of my running pace. I keep my metronome in the car, and every time a song comes on that sounds like it might be within my range, I turn that sucker on and clock it. If it passes, I write it down on my list of Songs To Ask David To Help Me Download (read: Songs I Want David To Download For Me). That way I can listen only to songs that are pretty perfectly synchronized with my gait, thereby enabling me to run in peace. Problem solved.

I'm not sure if that's crazy or fantastically awesome of me.

Either way, I am one happy camper runner.
My two new best friends. As a side note, can you believe how TINY that blue music thing is?? Technology is crazy!

6 comments:

Danica said...

Sounds so great! I know I've seen websites pinned on Pinterest before with music categorized by bpm for running. Here's one when I just did a quick search - maybe it will help! http://runningmusicmix.com/

shauntel said...

For work I buy music at dynamixmusic.com and powermusic.com. They list the beats per minute since it's all workout music. Maybe you'll find stuff there.

mom said...

Based on the previous blog entry, it sounds to me like everyday is a marathon.

mom said...

Based on the previous blog entry, it sounds to me like everyday is a marathon.

Melody C. Bondurant said...

I think I would be right there with you...though perhaps not as clever as to think of running with a metronome--nor do I own one except ON my keyboard, and that would be very awkward to run with and possibly inaccurate. : )- hehe.

Anyways...wish I was there, I would love(I think) to run a marathon someday (not ready just yet), so perhaps you have one saved for later for when you live HERE and we can train together : ) I just think that would be fun!

k_laurelle said...

There are a lot of workout remixes that you might want to consider as well! you can get almost everything in a faster beat than it normally is... I bought a bunch of workout mixes... I haven't used any of them, but I have them none the less, should the inspiration strike :)