The problem (well, one of the problems) is that sometimes I have trouble remembering the things they've told me, in the moment that I need them. So, I'm making a list of some of them, to me, from me, so I can refer to it in my next moment of crisis. (Which list-making is, in and of itself, a little wisey of me, don't you think?? Maybe the smarty-pants people in my life are starting to rub off on me. One can only hope.)
So here is my best effort at listing other peoples' wisdom...
1. In homemaking and mothering, what matters most is that your home is happy. If you have to let everything else go to get this one thing right, you will have traded well.
2. Kids can't hurry. They try, but...they fail. (I usually like to move at Cheetah Speed, in accomplishing household things and running errands. Let's get it done. I wait for no man. But doing things with little kids has turned my cheetah into one who one only has three legs, one of which is broken and one of which is five inches shorter than all the others. And also the cheetah is carsick, and shedding weird patches of hair, and drooling a lot. Whatever. Anyway, it's inefficient and s-l-o-w.) If you can only accomplish something by hurrying, don't. It is not worth the frustration that will ensue. Try again on a different day when you have more time.
3. No phase (or day) lasts forever. To me this is a reminder to breath it in deeply when it's fun and let it go with a sigh, when it's hard. This, too, shall pass.
4. It's easier to preempt a problem than to deal with its aftermath. (Following this advice could mean almost anything...hiding extra diapers in the car, giving D a nap when he has to stay up late for E's baseball game, separating tired children at the dinner table because they WILL start fighting if they're sitting next to each other, packing a snack or some crayons and paper if we're going to be out for a while, etc.) It is worth the time it takes to look at a situation that you know will push your limits and say, "What will make it hard? How can I make the hard stuff easier?"
5. Sometimes (a lot of times) the kid who did the hitting needs to be held even more than the one who got hit.
6. Be consistent. Follow through with consequences. Do something when you're counting and you actually get to "3". No means no. And praise, praise, praise the good stuff!
7. Smile at your husband and children. Just out of the blue, for no reason other than that they exist, they are yours, and that is a blessing. Wink. Mouth a silent, "I love you." Consistent, small displays of affection go a long way.
8. Pray together with your kids. Especially when you are grasping at sanity and self-control. Gather them around you, hold hands, and pray, even if you have to sob your way through it. Tell God that you are having a hard time. That you can't think clearly or don't know what to do. Ask Him--right there, out loud in front of your children--for forgiveness, to give you more love for your family, for help becoming a better mother. I've tried this a number of times. Every time, I have been changed. I finish praying and my instinct is to draw my children to me, hold them, apologize, and express my love to them. We get up and we try again, but it is better. Different. This is a magical piece of advice from a very dear friend. I wish I remembered it more often.
9. Admit when you blew it. Tell your kids you're sorry. My great sister-in-law put herself in time-out once after she lost her temper...chair facing the wall, timer on and all. Kids learn from parental mistakes and how they're handled. They are quick to forgive. Apologizing to them teaches them to apologize, and that everybody makes mistakes.
10. If you need time to yourself to get stuff done, you can usually get it by spending some undistracted time with your kids first. I read once about a mom who swore that if she took 15 minutes helping her kids get started in a play game (building a couch fort, making a Lego creation, helping them put on dress up clothes and makeup, gathering sticks and rocks for a pretend campsight, etc.) they would then play happily with that thing, alone, for at least 45 minutes. Fifteen minutes buys you forty-five. Not bad. I've tried this one a lot--it usually works nicely. Also, turns out it's super fun to forget about the phone and the laundry for a little bit and just play with your kids. Like a kid.
11. You're doing better than you think you are. If your kids know you love them, and if you're just trying to do a good job, that's enough. Forgive yourself for the stuff you aren't getting right quite yet.
I love, love, love all you wise moms I am blessed to know. All you good women connected to this blog. And lots more. (And also Dave, who is not a mom. But is very wise. That man OWNS #6 on this list. We could totally, appropriately nickname him Mr. Consistent.) You are wonderful. Thank you for letting me learn from you.
I beg of you to add to my list. Seriously. I'm begging.
What's the best piece of motherly advice you've ever been given??
10. If you need time to yourself to get stuff done, you can usually get it by spending some undistracted time with your kids first. I read once about a mom who swore that if she took 15 minutes helping her kids get started in a play game (building a couch fort, making a Lego creation, helping them put on dress up clothes and makeup, gathering sticks and rocks for a pretend campsight, etc.) they would then play happily with that thing, alone, for at least 45 minutes. Fifteen minutes buys you forty-five. Not bad. I've tried this one a lot--it usually works nicely. Also, turns out it's super fun to forget about the phone and the laundry for a little bit and just play with your kids. Like a kid.
11. You're doing better than you think you are. If your kids know you love them, and if you're just trying to do a good job, that's enough. Forgive yourself for the stuff you aren't getting right quite yet.
I love, love, love all you wise moms I am blessed to know. All you good women connected to this blog. And lots more. (And also Dave, who is not a mom. But is very wise. That man OWNS #6 on this list. We could totally, appropriately nickname him Mr. Consistent.) You are wonderful. Thank you for letting me learn from you.
I beg of you to add to my list. Seriously. I'm begging.
What's the best piece of motherly advice you've ever been given??
8 comments:
My own brother told me today (during a rather weighty, life-decision-making type of conversation), first decide what is most important to you and then go that way. Sort of a Cheshire cat type of wisdom, but there you go.
It was right exactly then that I realized what was important to me. Like magic, everything else disappeared. I was really into my career but it became apparent, right then and there (recognizing that this is different for everyone - no judgement for having a different life than me) that I could not look into my baby's face and feel honest about putting her in daycare. Once I was honest with myself and I decided what was most important to me, nothing else mattered. It sounds cliche coming out, but I promise that's pretty true to what happened.
I think you've about summed it up!
My hardest one is the hurrying one. I know it. Trying to hurry a child is a fool's errand. But still, I try. I'm also a cheetah. I am not patient. I like things DONE. Especially work/cleaning things.
My second child moves at the pace of a drunk snail with untied shoelaces that it keeps tripping over and has to stop and re-tie them. Except snails don't wear shoes. Analogy killed! Anyway. The more I try to hurry her, the worse it gets. Someday, I will learn. :)
Thank you. We're moving this weekend and all kinds of craziness going on in our lives makes your list of things (that I also at one point knew and had forgotten) even more important. I'm going to print and frame them. Love you!
Lorraine
My mom always told me I had the most amazing and wonderful children ever! She was SO right!
Alright missy! One or the other...You made me laugh OUT LOUD (while my kids are asleep)...AND then cry!
Okay, really, I LOVE it! I LOVE you! Such a beautiful Mama you are...thank you for passing on what you know.
The ONLY thing you missed, was to make sure, every once in a while, to make/eat too many chocolate chip cookies and/or brownies. THIS can make a happy home, almost without fail. : )
Ahh, motherhood, it shows you all of your flaws and creates some new ones just for kicks. So many wise people have influenced me, I have a running list of quotes from people or books I have read that inspire me to be the mother of my dreams. ON days when I feel I have failed at motherhood I remember this quote by a lady on a blog post " I am not a perfect mother, but I am a great mother because I try...and I am the one doing it".
On days when one or more of my children have consistently pushed me past my reservoir of patience and kindness, I remember these words, "Love More". Sometimes responding with a hug and an "i love you" is more effective than any other form of discipline. I want to frame it and hang it in my house to remind me.
You rock! Thanks for sharing.....
You rock! Thanks for sharing.....
Post a Comment