This is a picture of the city where I grew up. It's a view that's familiar to me, and still breathtaking after all these years. .
I come from the Columbia River and the Pacific Ocean. From nearly endless rain and gray skies. From tsunami territory. From fishing and logging territory. From fresh fish markets and barges on the river and moss growing in the sidewalk cracks. I come from green. So many shades of green...light green lichen growing on forest green evergreens growing on kelly green grass dotted liberally with olive green ferns. From a place where the tide tables are printed in the phone book, which is never more than an inch thick.
.
I come from a place where people wear socks under Crocs, fleece jackets, and Carharts with rainboots year-round. Where they regularly power-wash the sides of their house to remove the mold, are wonderfully unaware of current fashion trends, sell flowers at roadside stands, and decorate their front yards with buoys and driftwood. Where it rains beautifully every Christmas.
.
I come from ridiculously huge pickup trucks, wild blackberry bushes, pinecones, and sand. From blue herons, seagulls, bald eagles, deer, elk, and slugs. From a high school that had a leak in the ceiling of the main hall (which we solved by placing a huge garbage can underneath it to catch the water that dripped through from the rain outside). From wind off the bay and drive-through espresso stands with dozens of flavors to put in your hot chocolate. From clean, cold air. From contentment and peace.
.
Oregon, I love you. Every time our plane touches down in Portland and I feel like I'm coming home.
.
The funny thing is, every time is touches back down in Lubbock a week later, I feel the same way.
.
It feels so good to love things, doesn't it?
.
What do you love?
6 comments:
I will always love the pacific NW. I, too, feel like I'm going home when I visit. But it is nice to have a home to come back to, as well. I think that means I'm adult...or something. Man, I haven't been home in YEARS. Thanks for reminding me all that I'm missing. Although Astoria and Vancouver are pretty different. Same same, but different, right?
did you hear we are moving to corvallis? i've never been there-- and i'm HOPING that it will feel like home, someday.
I never knew you were so close!! We live in Andrews! Next time we go to the temple we'll have to meet up :) Loved your description of Oregon, it makes me nostalgic and I've only been there once :)
You are a gifted writer! You describe Oregon perfectly ;) congrats on your baby!!! SO happy for you guys :) that's so exciting!!
Is this inspired from the, "I am from" poem? I used to have my students write one, but the English teacher here had dibs on it when I showed up! Very nice!!!!!
Lindsey,
I hope you don't mind me snooping on your blog! This is Callie, Kera's sister. Remember when I came to stay with you guys that one year at BYU? Anyways, just wanted to tell you that my husband and I are going on our third year in Eugene, OR, and I echo everything you said about Oregon, and we too love Portlandia clips (which I think you have to have lived in Oregon or be from Oregon to truly get). Anyways, Oregon is wonderful, culturally weird and great at the same time, and it will always make me feel like home too, even though I wasn't raised here. I love it! And I loved reading your post about it.
Post a Comment