Happy Mother's Day!
Here is one of my very favorite quotes on motherhood...it's by Sheri Dew:
"Satan has declared war on motherhood. He knows that those who rock the cradle can rock his earthly empire. And he knows that without righteous mothers loving and leading the next generation, the kingdom of God will fail...While we tend to equate motherhood solely with maternity, in the Lord's language, the word mother has layers of meaning. Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve "the mother of all living"--and they did so before she ever bore a child. Like Eve, our motherhood began before we were born... Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us."
I am so grateful for my own mother, who taught me to nuture, to rely on God, and to enjoy each moment, and for my children, who teach me about love, patience, and laughter every day.
~
To me, some of the best parts of motherhood are:
* laughing
* rocking a newborn in the night
* feeling little arms and hands around my neck
* seeing my kids learn new things, or do something for the first time
* getting answers to prayers about my children
* reading books to babies snuggled on my lap
* sleepy-eyed good morning kisses
* knowing that I have the power to make an injury feel better with just a kiss
* hot sunny days in the backyard with the swimming pool filled
* watching my children love and help each other
* being pregnant
* the steep, steep learning curve into which having kids has thrown me
* baking treats with my babies
* sharing all these things with David
~
What are your favorite parts of motherhood?
5 comments:
What a great thinking question:
* I love snuggling under Emily's canopy or Matthew's fluffy blanket and reading stories.
* hearing my boys asking to read more scriptures just to find out what happens next
*every time Emily says "pinkalicious"
*kneeling on the ground next to one of the garden boxes(thanks again!) and hearing Matthew whispering sweet words to the seeds to help them grow.
*walking out on the patio and seeing multiple children scheming in the playhouse.
*having Justin ask me questions about Christ and seeing in his eyes he gets it.
*having a new day every time I wake up to try again. I think I'm going to write about this in Journal. Lindsey, you're not only a fantastic mother, but a most wonderful woman. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I wish you knew all the good you do.
i love each of those things too! as i read your list i kept thinking..."me too"! maybe that is why we have the opportunity to share and be bound together in the journey of motherhood. we can all relate!
happy mother's day lindsey!
ps...your children are so adorable! i love the way they are looking at each other in that picture...pure joy!
I love this post. I read it before church, but didn't have time to comment. I love it. I love you. I think you're great.
I'll think on your question.
Great Question...and good for me to remember. Somedays I seem to just remember where I've messed up and how inadequate I feel for such a GREAT and ETERNAL task...like today for instance (sigh)
There is so much I love though: snuggles and kisses, puddle stomping, teaching them as they work alongside me, "a-maak-g'set-DOE", questions about girls, eating chocolate together,jumping on the bed, trying to explain how BIG God is...everyday!!!
You are such a great example of finding delight in God's most precious blessings...a wonderful encouragement to me!!!
Love you Linds
How did "being pregnant" make the list? That, for me, is about the only thing not to like about being a mom. But all of the other things you mentioned are lovely. I love walking into a room where there are only happy voices and kids playing sweetly together. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I'm really proud to be a mom.
Post a Comment