I've done it again. I've jumped headfirst into a crafty project that I was just sure (with a casual wave of my hand) would be an absolute breeze, and has, in actuality, become the bane of my existance. Yet again. :) When will I learn, and where is Shirlene Wade when I need her??? The current project is a Tin Man Halloween costume for Elijah--Haven's Cowardly Lion costume, thankfully, is store-bought, and only requires me to sew on a red hair bow--an absolute breeze, I am sure. I am up to my armpits in fabric, pins, thread, and interfacing (what the heck is that?), and I think the directions are half in English and half in Mandarin Chinese. (Chelsea, can you or Ken help?) I would ditch the effort, but a)I have a pride issue about that--I'm gonna finish, darn it, and I'm gonna like it, darn it, and b)about a dozen times a day Elijah excitedly exclaims, "I'm gonna be the Tin Man!!!!!" Ok. Deep breath. Smile. Time to throw my head back and laugh! :) So here's a laughable list of my history with projects like this:
1. My Christmas Cross-stitch: started when I was 12, finished when I was 22 (yes, an entire decade). Absolute breeze!
2. Elijah's bear costume from last year: an absolute breeze. That Gina, my mother, and Shirlene helped me finish.
3. Our bedroom curtains: an absolute breeze that ended up looking like patchwork curtains because I had serious fabric measuring issues.
4. The pillow case I made for David when he left for college: it is too lopsided to fit a pillow.
5. My wedding scrapbook: a breeze made primarily by Cassie and Beth, who were just supposed to be helping me in my maiden (and final) scrapbook voyage.
(Ahhh...sigh. Ok, it's funny again.)
12 comments:
I wish we lived a bit closer so I could come help you out. I made BrookLyn's costume last year, but decided that while I could do it the time and money (it just isn't economical to sew anymore) were better spent elsewhere and I bought them this year.
We were ALSO going to do Wizard of OZ (I SO want to be Elphiba) but let the kids pick... Superheros, yeah. But Chel and Shawn are Wizarding it too. I did find a really nice tin man costume ($28) if your interested.... Not that you can't do it, but I know how much longer it can take than you expect and the next thing you know it's the week before, it's still not done and then shipping costs more! And silver fabric can always be used for other fun kid stuff... My rule has been if it's not finished by September I buy it. GOOD LUCK!!!! Let us know if your heading to Dallas anytime soon, we'd love to come up and see you (and help if it's before Halloween!)
good luck with the sewing. i haven't even begun. glad to see haven smiling. she never did smile for me here!
A decade-long cross-stitch! That makes my day :) I love that you finished it. I entirely admire your determination to follow-through no matter how long it takes... I need more of that in my life. Post pictures when he wears it!
So, does that mean Dave is the scarecrow and you are Dorothy?
I'm proud of you kiddo! I was going to make C a costume, but decided instead to do J as a magician (in one of the tuxes he already has!), me as the black top hat, at C to be a little pink bunny popping out of the hat (pink fluffy pjs with a bunny headband!)- we will see what my vision looks like in reality soon enough!
Good luck!
I'm making Jackson's costume, too. His is a little simpler as he wants to be a king. I can't wait to see your finished product!
I can't wait to see the finished product, I am sure it will be adorable!
I feel your pain! Halloween should probably be one of the lowest stress holidays. Somehow though, I can't leave it alone. It's actually a good contender with Christmas for me in the deliberation and effort that go into identifying costume ideas and spending many sleepless moments trying to force them into being. Good luck!!!
Oh, how true. I have started many a project only to be wondering, "What was I thinking". And even after countless sewing projects of all types I still underestimate how long/difficult it really is. Someday, I keep telling myself, someday!
Just for support sake, here are a few of my projects that are seeminly forgotten and still sitting undone:
"custome designed" cloth diaper covers...we're not doing cloth anymore, so we'll see if I ever finish those
curtains for the boys room...in the house we don't live in anymore
a few nursing bras...I have all the matching elastic and clips too
A maternity shirt I started the week before Gabriel was born.
A handful of toddler belts. The fabric is ironed and even sitting out.
And I'm still tempted to go to the fabric store and start yet something else. My mom used to make me finish each project before taking me to get more fabric...I think I need to resort back to that plan. I think you've motivated me to put a big FINISHED sign on my projects.
Best of luck with your costumes. They sound adorable.
Love,
Melody
Lindsey, loved reading your blog. It was fun to "connect" again. Your life has changed so much. I see a little of Kelsie in Haven and can't believe how grown up Kelsie is. We have good friends in the same program as Austin I think in Lubbock. See if you ever run across Brian and Kate Johnson. Can't believe you miss rainy Oregon. Guess it's all what we get used to. We are well. Have Ralph's mom living with us now. We tried to sell this home and move to Utah for her but it wouldn't sell so she came here. We're glad we are here. Nothing much is different. Ralph still works without wages with his partners of 10 yrs. but hope for success is in sight. He loves to bike still and is in great shape. I love to do genealogy and serve in the church. Seems like we don't have much in common but it works for us. I'll check into your blog another time but this is all new and complicated for me.
Lindsay! What a beautiful family! We got your check. Glad the stars arrived safely. So glad to see you are doing well. You are certainly blessed! Much love,
The Knudsens
Hi Lindsey,
Loved the photos of your cute kids, but my favorite was of you hugging the washer! Yea, no more laundromats!
Check out my blog at kurtknudsen.blogspot.com
Hi Lindsey "Seamstress" Servino, guess you figured out how to read Mandarin huh?:) Good job on the costumes!
Post a Comment