Thursday, May 15, 2014

'Cuz I'm suuuuuper classy like that.

 I am one of my favorite things to laugh at. Which is a good thing, because: 

1. Recently I dropped the kids off at my friend Megan's house for her to watch them while I ran some errands. Megan has two girls, who own lots of princess paraphernalia. As I walked up to knock on Megan's door, I found a tiny crown on her front lawn. On a whim, I put  it on my head, thinking Megan would see it, laugh, and I would give it back to her girls. I knocked, we chatted and laughed, I dropped off my boys, and left to run errands. Megan didn't notice the crown. So I forgot about it. Until two hours later, after I had run long errands in several stores, and happened to notice my reflection in my van window as I was getting into my car. The best part about it all was that I was in a hoodie sweatshirt, had NO KIDS with me (read: no visible excuse as to why I was cheerfully running all my errands with a tiny crown on my head). I even remarked to myself about how an unusual number of people had smiled at me as I was running my errands. Nice. I took this selfie when I got into my car, so I could send it to David to reassure him about what a classy wife he has:

Oddly, he found my experience funny, but not surprising. Huh.

2. We recently graduated from our ten-year-long Diaper Bag Phase. After I realized that I no longer need to carry a diaper bag, this was my internal dialog: Weird. We don't need a diaper bag any more. I've carried a diaper bag for ten years. Well...I'm going to need something to keep my things in. I just wish they made a bag that wasn't a diaper bag, but that had lots of pockets and looked cute, so I could carry my things around in it. I'll have to look on Amazon to see if I can find anything like that. They have to have something. Wait.......I know this. There is.....a name....for this thing. It's name is.......purse. Yes, it is purse. I need a.....purse. I have never owned a purse. My mom had a purse. I feel like my mom. No, I feel like a grown-up woman. I'm in my 30's. I'll be a 30-something woman with a purse. I'm joining their ranks. How did I get to be so adultish? How have I never owned a purse in my life? How did it not even occur to me that there was such a thing as a purse? I think other women remembered about purses before now. Huh. When did the Girlie Ship sail without me? Probably about the time I was perusing thrift stores to find hilarious shirts with David, in high school.

So now I own a purse. I had to try twice to buy one--the first time I walked out without anything because I was so intimidated by all the different options there are in purses. It's crazy. But I got brave my second time around and picked out a nice blue thing. Lots of pockets in this thing...I like it. You should try one. Turns out purses are cute AND handy. Who knew? (Besides everyone.)

3. Last week, Kai came up to David with an open book in his hand and super excitedly kept repeating, "Kai...found...picture...Mommy!!" He said it over and over--I was standing right there witnessing the whole thing. David confirmed, "You found a picture of Mommy in that book?" And Kai enthusiastically answered, "Yes!!!" David asked to see the picture, at which point Kai happily showed him this:
 What. the heck. Ummm....seriously?? This is what my 2 1/2 yr old son thinks I look like?? Awesome. (Side note: If this is his perception of his mother, it's no wonder he prefers David so strongly. Mystery solved.) We laughed so hard. This author's name is Ron. I refer to him now as Ron My Twin. My aforementioned friend, Megan, has set this picture to be the pic that pops up on her phone every time I call her. Now she sounds like she's laughing every time she answers my calls.

 Robert Frost supposedly said, "If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." True dat, Bob Frost.  (With the notable exception I've learned from experience, which is when you're all by yourself, and you're laughing extremely hard. That sort of feels like jovially rubbing shoulders with insanity.)

I'd like to think I come by my spastic-ness honestly. My mother recently called me to tell me about a taco she bought one night. She took a couple bites, but it was soggy and tasted awful. Not wanting to get out at night, she pulled over by a field, rolled down the passenger side window, and threw the taco as hard as she could, so she would be sure to clear the car by a long shot. Imagine her great surprise when, instead of flying out the window, the taco made a loud smacking sound, splattered against something clear and invisible, and then started running all down the inside of her car. It took her a moment to realize she had rolled down the backseat passenger window by accident--not the one right across from her. When she realized it, she just started laughing hysterically, surrounded by taco mess in her car. She laughed harder when she imagined what she would have looked like to someone watching...gray-haired lady pulls over, unwraps taco, rolls down back window, throws taco with all her might against the closed front window, then laughs so hard she cries. Ahhhhh...my family. What we lack in class, we make up for in good humor, right? (Ummm...right?? Anyone? Hello?? Is this thing even on??)


Have you had any laugh-out-loud experiences lately?

4 comments:

shauntel said...

Oh man, I just had a good laugh over your mom's taco experience. I love the crown btw. A few months ago I was at a friend's house and was changing my baby's diaper. I took the dirty diaper to the trash and when I came back his onesie was soaking wet. I expressed disbelief that he could have soaked his diaper already, as I had just changed him! Turns out I hadn't put a new diaper on him - I'd just cleaned him off and snapped up his clothes. Oh, we laughed so much.

BWei said...

Okay this seriously made me laugh so hard, which was good medicine after a rough day. Thank you for being a tender mercy to me to make me smile!

Jan Nerenberg said...

I love your posts, just absolutely love them. So far away in Wales, they bring me home again and make me laugh and cry and laugh again. I just love your family so very, very much.

Kate said...

You are awesome and hilarious.