Thursday, July 11, 2013

Since last we met..

Here are some small things making me smile lately...

I couldn't find Kai for a few minutes. Turns out he had shut himself in the closet. With a marker. And a lot of creative artistic genius. You like that yellow mural he's started on the wall behind him? Yeah, so did he. 

They recently rediscovered the game "Hungry, Hungry Hippos". Kai  and Dane think it is hilarious.

Sloppiest pedicure I've ever seen. And also the most adorably sweet.

This is the face Kai makes when you ask him to smile. It's like hilarious meets excruciating. There are not words to express how much I love it.

First pinewood derby car. Man, I love this kid.

She is my tree climber. I love that about her. Have you ever seen the movie "Flipped"? She is so much like that sweet girl.

She is David on the outside, Lindsey on the inside. Last week she asked me, "Mom, how come when I'm out in the sun I get brown, but you just get polka dots?" Nice. They're called freckles, Sweetie, and the answer is because we didn't all win the genetic skin lottery like you did, thank you very much.
David turned 33. Through a total fluke, he got sent home from work at 10am. It was awesome. We swam and played and felt happy all day. David's birthday is one of my favorite holidays. And yes, he's wearing a "birthday girl" sign, courtesy of Haven's kind-hearted sharing. Is it messed up that seeing him wear it somehow made us think of his Vanilla Bear Rob??

I turned 31. The day included David taking the day off work, a new air compressor and nail gun, Thai curry, Bluebell ice cream, a nap, and homemade kid-cards. Total success.


A boy and his boots. Need I say more?

Dane turned 4. And was nearly overcome with excitement about his set of four new toy Hummers. Dane is the most low-key, optimistic, easy-to-please, hilarious four-yr-old I have ever known. He is so fun to be around!

I've said it before, but...Kai's heart beats only for David.

She has started reading to him every day. Love, love, LOVE. Pure sweetness.

David's parents came to visit. We hadn't seen them in a long time...it felt so good to have them here!

Mmmmm. Grandma snuggles.

More precious Grandma time.

E, H, and D finished swim lessons for this summer. It is so cool to watch them move through the water with ease.

BFF's - 4 - Life, yo.

We get lizards all the time here, but Elijah seems to be the only one who can catch them. Did I tell you he desperately wants a pet snake? He says it is his dream. He is saving his money for it...he's up to $80. Eeesh.

This is what a full heart looks like.

There he is. Smiling again. It's so ridiculously cheesy. It's impossible for me not to smile when he does this.

Well...what would YOU do if you had three brothers but no sisters??

I brought my guitar out because I wanted my kids to be exposed to, and familiar with it. By which I mean, so Kai could stick all my picks down inside of it.

What small things made you smile today?

5 comments:

Jan Nerenberg said...

Lovely, just lovely. Love you, your attitude, and your whole family.

BWei said...

Loved this. And can totally relate to the excruciating smile. Awesome.

Becky said...

Whitney laughed out loud at the pic of Dave wearing the birthday girl sash and said "that says birthday girl! that's hilarious!" and then named everyone in each picture for me from the beginning to the end, making wistful comments like "Haven's hair is getting so long" and "Dane looks so big". She misses you guys too. We're excited to see you again, Honky Polkadot Bear! (And all your Cinnamon Bears!)

jamesrivergirl said...

I loved this post. I loved all the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Elijah is just gorgeous. The pictures I display life size in my home are absolutely beautiful. I never get tired of admiring his good looks, especially when I come home from a hard day at work. I never get tired of walking up to him and spending time kissing him in the privacy of my home. The display is warm and silky smooth and the clarity so good it seems like he comes to life and I am really kissing him, and I luv that so much. Spending a little time enjoying him after a hard day at work, before bed or when I first wake up in the morning is just awesome.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh7pgIQarosE9R5a5ebqOSt4VyWPTL355zDdJKsiKLvWV_yvFSu4UAJHooRMx5MO4qSBGEd2SHG9o7I9CLhtM2EURhFdnFy_xlkHK-BM2XCdr7rgD9PldXeijHYxWlsw0TQfsERHqThuooM/s0/E+caught+a+lizard,+1.JPG