Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A boy and his dog

Of all the dog breeds, one of the main reasons we chose to buy a boxer was because we repeatedly read that they are happiest in homes with small children. We just so happen to have an abundance of small children in our home, so we thought that would be a good match for us.


"One of the breed's most notable characteristics is its desire for human affection, especially from children. They are patient and spirited with children, but also protective, making them a popular choice for families." ~ AKC.org

"[A boxer] bonds very closely with the family. Loyal and affectionate, Boxers are known for the way they get along so well with children." ~dogbreedinfo.com

"They are very good with children and very trainable... Boxers are very loving with their families and will fiercely defend them from theft or attack." ~terrificpets.com


Apollo LOVES children. Especially ours. But he and Dane seem to have a particular little boy/dog connection. All the pictures below were taken on different days (except one) over the past several months, and are totally unstaged.

Melts me. This is why we have a dog.

Just today, Dane and Apollo played outside together--just the two of them, interacting, meandering, running--for over an hour. Some days, it's over two hours. If Apollo gets disciplined and has to go outside, Dane is the first person to ask when he gets to come back in. He always asks for Apollo to stay in his room when he lays down for an afternoon quiet time. He frequently interprets for Apollo ("Apollo wants...", "Apollo doesn't understand you...", "Apollo is feeling...", etc.). It's a heartwarming love.












Are you a dog person?
Why or why not?

8 comments:

Becky said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Oh my gosh. Almost thou persuadest me to be a dog owner again.

mom said...

Hmmmmmm.....let me see.....am I a dog person? You decide. In the meantime, can I even begin to tell you how much these pictures warm my heart. I am so biased as to say that your children will be responsible, productive, happy, well-adjusted, kind-hearted human beings because you put up with the time and trouble of having a dog. How's that for being a dog person?

mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BWei said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BWei said...

Hey--that is totally fine to add the address to your sidebar. Hope you have a great day, too. :-)

Melody C. Bondurant said...

I love the thumb-sucking cuddling pictures...and then the "are you going to share that ice-cream with me" one!

I've been tempted to get a dog...but I don't think I am truly a "dog-person", but maybe...maybe...

especially if you keep posting cute pictures of the dog with your kids.

sorichfamily said...

this is beyond heartwarming! Remember Elijah with Roxy. Your kids are just the cutest! so cool!

Kelsie :) said...

I LOVE all these pictures Linds! Apollo is such a sweet dog. Sweet as in cute and as in rip-your-face-off cool. :)