Tuesday, October 23, 2012

You find what you look for

One thing my family is really, really good at is laughing.

That's kind of our thing--it's what we do. We laugh. Some families play sports, or do outdoorsy stuff, or argue and debate, or are just quiet and content. We laugh. Every time we're together, we laugh so hard we cry. Every time. Usually, we're laughing at ourselves. Sometimes, we're laughing at something funny we read  or saw, or a ridiculous hypothetical situation, or whatever else. But generally, it's us poking fun at us. It's done with so much love and good humor, though, that it never feels like anyone crosses a line. It just feels like we have a really great handle on not taking ourselves too seriously. I LOVE this about my family and am deeply grateful for it.

I went to Utah this past weekend to celebrate a cousin's wedding. Much of my extended family was there. We're a cohesive bunch (read: smother-lovers) who spend most of our spare time hanging out together, when we can. And when we do, this is what inevitably happens:











Seriously, these people are not insane. I promise. (I know it looks a little questionable to view a whole string of pics depicting people laughing hysterically.) They are just the most sincerely joyful, kind, open-hearted bunch of people I know. The joy that we have is real and deep...it comes from love for God and family, and from our faith. One of my very favorite Book of Mormon scriptures says, "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." Love it. I know that joy and laughter are not the same thing, but I think laughter is often a manifestation of joy.

When was the last time you had a good laugh?

8 comments:

mom said...

Laughing is definitely a Houghtaling strength. I'm with you.....SO HAPPY TO BE A PART OF IT!!!

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Yvonne and Elise said...

Wait...you were in UTAH? I totally understand, family first ;)
Laughing so hard you cry is my favorite kind of laugh!!

Ashlee Marie said...

we have such a fun family!

sorichfamily said...

Love this!! And random comment...Haven looks just like your sister!!!

marci said...

a couple of things
1: i am loving your hair longer right now, very nice!
2: you have rocking arms that I covet!!
3: I laugh at the commercial about dividing data on a families phone bill...kills me every time, keep in mind I had a baby recently and am severely sleep deprived
4: let's talk, but I can't find your cell number, email it to me
5: i just read this back and realize how random it all is...again, new baby to blame I think/hope.

The Bergmans said...

When our little boy (3 yrs old) told me we should put up and electric fence around our house so our busy dad can't leave but stay and play with him! Such a great idea! Why didn't I think of that one?!

The Bergmans said...

PS- i can't think of a time I was with your family, and at some point, it didn't look like these pics! I always loved that about Houghtalings!