Thursday, April 26, 2012

A mark of their ages

I really like my kids. And I don't want to forget the preciousness that this stage of life contains. So, here's for me, for later. Like maybe in another decade or something, when I have forgotten the little details of life with smallish babies...

*    E and H both refer in hushed, shameful tones about the "H" word and the "S" word, by which they mean "hate" and "stupid". I don't even think they know that a different "H" and "S" word even exists. Elijah also told me the other day that if you put just your middle finger up, it's really, really bad because it means you hate God. I thought about it for a minute, then decided that his explanation was good enough for now. I didn't correct him.     *     Dane cannot say the "sk" sound. He says it like an H. So, the words "school, scooter, skin, scared," come out as, "hool, hooter, hin, and hared."     *     Dane will play happily outside, alone or with the dog, for over an hour. If there is any source of water outside--pool, rainwater, sprinkler, hose--it turns into two hours.     *     The thing we discipline the most right now is not staying on task or not listening. It feels like a chronic problem.     *     I am reading "Magic Tree House" and "Junie B. Jones" to E and H. They really love both of them.     *     Kai takes two naps a day. The part in the middle, where he's awake, is exactly when we have to go get Haven from preschool. It makes it very difficult to get any errands done.     *     H has started ballet lessons. Every time I see her little brown body in that leotard, tights, and ballet shoes, I want to freeze the moment in time. She is so sweet, passionate, and happy.     *     


No comments: