Thursday, October 29, 2009

Beauty

I frequently feel frustrated at the pressures society places on women to be...perfect. To look perfect. To be smart, put-together, skinny, sexy, witty, and never get corn stuck in your teeth. Give me a break. That thinking is so destructive. I want so badly to find a way to shield Haven from that. Or I guess, even better, to give her the guts and confidence to glide through it and emerge happy and whole.

I love the commercial that Dove has right now where they've put their own words to the song, "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" We're all so "blemished" and "flawed". It's such a great part of what makes us beautiful.

I don't always have a solid grasp on this concept of beauty. But I'm trying. For me, and for Haven. I have stretch marks on my belly, thighs, and breasts. My hair is graying--I'm getting a pretty good streak on top. I show too much gum when I smile. I have frizz-tastic hair when it rains. And horrible morning breath always. I'm crazy anxious sometimes and can be incredibly stubborn. But I also have a great laugh. And a strong athletic body, cute hair (when I get the frizz under some semblance of control), and blue eyes like the ocean. I'm good at turning a stressful situation into one that feels manageable. I'm a true friend. I have a strong drive to improve myself. I'm funny.

And I guess that's the thing. Those are all parts of me--the bad and the good. They come together, as a whole package, for each of us. It's the way God meant it to be. Our flaws become the catalyst to help us develop our character. It's beautiful. We're beautiful. I really believe that.

6 comments:

LeMira said...

It's my husband that reminds me I'm beautiful. I've always struggled with feeling like I'm the one that's normal looking and doesn't fit in. I still struggle, but my husband has NEVER made a negative judgment about who I am based on my looks. He always just tells me that I'm beautiful. That has helped me immensely.

marci said...

I feel the same way about protecting madisen. Only I feel the need to protect her from myself. I need to watch what I say and how I complain about my own appearance in front of her. I am her example, and frankly that scares the bejeezes out of me! I hope that if I am confident and accepting of myslef she will be too. Now if I could just lose 15 pounds so I could BE confident and accepting of myself we would be in business!!! Wow, I need serious help! Is david charging for sessions?? Or does he have a "romania friend of my wife" discount in place yet? Just consider it, that is all I am asking. I am willing to barter.

Leah Rainey said...

So brave to share!!! I always like to HIDE my blemishes.....but then, why?

Thanks for the post...having a rough week.....it was nice!!!!!

Leah Rainey said...

I hope you don't mind...a student who I'm close with mentioned something about her appearance yesterday. I printed out your post and let her read it today. She told me, "That was good".

So, thanks and I hope you don't mind me spreading your wisdom with my students.

Leah Rainey said...

November 5th is Leah Rainey...so weird it doesn't post it.

Melody C. Bondurant said...

...and you could keep going! I completely agree with you. Though, I often forget. Thinking I need to get my act together and tighten up my flabby abs or be more current on clothing styles Or not be so opinionated about EVERYTHING...or...or...or.
Thanks for the reminder to smile in my own skin-Now!

I also pray heaven's grace and wisdom for you (and all mothers of girls).

Melody
p.s. how was the tournament?